Disconnected from Xbox Live Randomly then Permanently

So I got Dead Island yesterday and was playing it today. Normally I don't use Xbox Live, but everytime I play singleplayer it says I'm online. In the past I haven't had any issues. Today though, I was playing co-op and Xbox Live kicked me twice. After each kick, the message was simply that I have been kicked from the 'party'. It acted like Xbox Live was still on, but when I went to rejoin the party the xbox froze and I had to completely restart it.

This happened twice. After the second time, Xbox Live disconnected completely. I followed all of the reconnection steps on the support page here with no luck.

When I go to test the Xbox Live connection, it gets the red x on my router... I know, however, that the information is correct. Initially I thought maybe it was an IP problem, so I reset the factory settings - same error. I then followed the instructions on giving it a manual IP- nothing. So I followed the other instructions, to no avail.

My computer is connected to the same network, without any issue - I reset the router, but the bars are still high, and Xbox Live still didn't reconnect.

What Country/State/Province do you live in? Caddo, LA, USA
Modem brand & model number:
--
Router brand & model number:
D Link - DIR-615
Network Connection Type:
Wireless
If Wireless, what type of encryption are you using?
WPA
If Wireless, are you using a white or black external adapter, or an internal (Xbox 360S) adapter?
Xbox 360 S internal
Things you have tried: listed above
Is UPnP Enabled? Unknown
Is NAT Type Open? Yes
Any Error Codes you encounter: None
What type of internet do you have? Cable
Who is your ISP(Internet Service Provider)? Comcast
After you run "Test Xbox LIVE connection" and click on "More info", what is the exact message shown on screen? Each time it's different. Sometimes it says that the static IP is not working, then that CAD isn't set up, then that automatic IP isn't working - it keeps sending me back and forth.

I don't have access to change the CAD settings - my father is the one with all the passwords for the router and he insists it's not the issue. I also can't use an ethernet cable because the router is in the kitchen on top of the fridge and my dad says it'd be impossible to stretch the cable that far... I'm really not sure what to do.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 12 Applies to:

Hi, what is the make/model of the modem the Dlink is connected to? Also what firmware is the Dlink running. Despite what your father says I'm 99.9% this is a wireless security issue which means an issue with the settings or the passkey.

The best wireless settings are WPA-Personal with WPA2 only and AES or (TKIP and AES, but never just TKIP on its own). Or WPA2 and WPA

Also ensure the Xbox is listed in the mac address filter list on the router (if that is enabled) its a very popular set-up (655 and Xbox360S) I'm certain its just a wireless security issue. Also put your ip address back on auto its failing to get an address because of the wireless security problem, once that is solved it will pick up an address.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I have had similar problems since playing Dead Island. I was playing last night and today and i just got disconnected from xbox live. This has never happened to me before and im on live 5 years. My router is fine and all my other devices can connect to the net. This has to be a Dead Island problem. I was playing co-op the other night and 2 players in the party where just getting randomly kicked. And today i changed my live settings to hold the slots for my friends and other people where still just randomly popping in and out of my game!  I can look past the graphical bugs etc, but a game just randomly kicking you from live is mad.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.