Disconnect from Xbox Live every 5-10 minutes.

So I have had this Xbox for a while now and have used it with the same set up I currently am using. I have been trying to play the new Naruto Generations game and Mass Effect 3 online and roughly every 5-10 minutes. I will usually get into a game, play for a bit get half way through a round and get disconnected. Some times I can play through a game and win/lose and then get to the next game before disconnecting. Mass Effect 3 matches last too long and I always get dced half way through with the text coming up saying "Xbox live has been disconnected".

We are connecting Cox Cable through a netgear router. The Router is wirelessly giving my computer internet. The wireless internet is set up on a network bridge with the local area connected network which is my xbox 360 that is wired into my computer.

The network bridge says its working and connected and doesn't show the disconnect happen. My Xbox is set up to automatic and is showing the correct numbers. I have tried unplugging the cables to all devices, the router, the main computer the router is connected to, my computer, and the xbox. I have also turned all of them off and reset them multiple times attempting to fix the issue. I don't know what else to do :(

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 28 Applies to:

If it's an old router, it's possible that it's just dying out. I had the same problem untill I bought a new.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Is there a way to check if its the Router? There is a PS3 on the network that connects just fine.

Sorry this didn't help.

There isn't much you can do with the router to verify that the router is what's causing it.  One way you can check it is to plug your Xbox in directly to your modem and leave your router out of the equation.  If it works perfectly then you know it's something to do with the router as it doesn't happen until that enters the equation.  Also since you have it bridged through your PC it might just not be receiving enough bandwith through that bridge.  I would suggest wiring it directly to the router or even trying wireless.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there Evray!
If you "Test Xbox LIVE connection" do you receive any error code/message?

• Press the Guide button on your controller (Xbox button in the center of your controller).
  • Go to Settings, and then select System Settings.
  • Select Network Settings.
  • Select Wired Network or your wireless network name (if you are prompted to do so).
  • Select Test Xbox LIVE Connection.

To start with. Make sure the firmware for your router is up to date. For some router models to work properly with Xbox LIVE it is necessary with a certified firmware version. If you are using a personal firewall (Mcafee, Zonealarm, Norton etc.) on your PC and your NAT status is Strict or Moderate then you need to open Xbox LIVE ports in your firewall settings.

If you have set up ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) and having difficulties getting a NAT status of OPEN then you can try create a network bridge. Here's how. 

Restart your network devies.

• Turn off your Xbox 360 console and all network hardware (for example, your modem and router).
  • Wait one minute.
  • Turn on your modem and wait for it to come back online (one more minute).
  • Turn on the next piece of hardware (for example, the router), and wait another minute.

Login to your router and make sure UPnP is enabled. If the problem still persists try opening ports for Xbox LIVE with Port Forwarding.

Post back and let us know if any of the suggestions worked.

Sorry this didn't help.