Disconnect after one hour of playing

Hello, I get disconnected after being on live after one hour. I run the network test and I get back on and after one hour I get booted again. I just recently signed up for charter internet. I have tried both wired and wireless and the problem happens both ways. I'm not sure if is my router(Netgear cg3000d) or some setting I have to change.  My iphone and my laptop never disconnect only my xbox.  Any help will be great! I mainly play MW3.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 5 Applies to:

I believe the problem is you may have what is called a dynamic IP which is provided by some charter internet companies. Give this a shot.

I have had this problem before and this worked for me.

(This is for Windows XP)

Click Start, click Control Panel, click Network and Internet Connections, and then click Network Connections.

Right-click the network connection that is connected to the private ICS network, and then click Properties.

On the General tab, click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) in the This connection uses the following items list, and then click Properties.

On the General tab, click Use the following IP address. Configure the entries as follows:

IP Address: The IP address you chose for this client (for example, 192.168.0.100).

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1

Click Use the following DNS server addresses, and then type 192.168.0.1 in the Preferred DNS server box.

Click Advanced, and then click the DNS tab.

In the DNS suffix for this connection box, type MSHOME.NET.

Click OK.

Click OK.

To verify your computer has changed to static Ip, go to start--> run, type in CMD. This will bring up a command promt window. Now type in IPCONFIG, this will display your permanent Ip address (if you changed your IP address using the directions status above correctly).

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Do the Xbox shutdown after playing an hour or only disconnect? If shutdown  you need go to Settings to change that.

Sorry this didn't help.

If what I said above doesn't work try going into your xbox network settings in system settings and go to configure network. If IP address isn't set to automatic do so. Otherwise, you may want to set the IP manually to keep it from changing on you.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there !

Sorry about the issues you are facing !

It may be your NAT Type, which is basically the connection between your router/modem and your XBox360 console !

If your NAT type is moderate or strict, which may be the problem to your connection problems, here are two links which will guide you through some solutions as to how you can fix it. support.xbox.com/.../nat-type-strict forums.xbox.com/.../157383.aspx

On the the other hand, if these solutions fail to help your NAT type and or connection, I suggest you call up your ISP (Internet Service Provider) and explain

to them the problems you are facing. After having done this, you should request them for new router if they haven't said they will send you one already.

Most ISPs send routers out for free, on the other hand if your ISP do not send you a router, free of expenses, I suggest you buy a new router.

Also try clearing your system cache ! To clear your cache simply follow these next few instructions.

1. Press your guide button on your controller (middle circular button)

2. Scroll across twice, to settings.

3. Then choose the 4th option down 'System Settings'

4. Now, you are on the available options and settings to your console. Select the 3rd option down 'Storage'

5. You will be given the options of 'All devices' 'Hard Drive' and 'Cloud Saved Games' (if you have Cloud) Highlight, 'Hard Drive'

6. Press the 'Y' button, on your controller. Now, you will be given 4 options, select the 3rd option 'Clear System Cache' and then select 'Yes'

Hope this helps, Keep us posted.

Kind Regards,

DarkLink 900

Sorry this didn't help.

I just got a new router from Charter and I am still having the same issues. I also tried the advice above with no luck. Any other ideas? My guess is there has to be something that is not set up correctly on the router. Ive tried going to 192.168.0.1 to try some things but I can't log in, the password on my router does not work

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there Goblue!
By default the username is admin, and the password is password. If you can not access your router, contact Charter and they will help you.

Post back when you have access to your router's web-config page.

Sorry this didn't help.

This is easy to fix. Just need a stronger DNS server. Go to this link code.google.com/.../list , download and install name bench. When program opens click run. This will take a few minutes but when its done at the top right corner of results will be the primary and secondary DNS servers that are the fastest in your area. From there go to the xbox live DNS settings and switch it to Manual and type in those servers. Once set do I power cycle on internet and xbox then reconnect.

Sorry this didn't help.