disc spins when opening the disc tray

So I was playing a game the other day, and I noticed when I go to take the disc out, it makes this scratchy spinning noise.

So I layed it down. And I notice that as the tray open, the disc spins a little. Does anyone know why? 

I am just afraid this will escelate into something worse. So I just want to know what's going on. It was good for awile. But then it did it again. It seems tipping the console sideways; then back up again helps.(sometimes, sometimes it spins anyway)

I have provided a video with my problem.  It's not my video. But it's the exact same problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNRqcg_uFKk

I have seen opinions on both sides, if it is harmful or not.  But I have not yet seen any evidence from the people who say it cannot damage your discs. From the people that say it does.

No offense to anybody, but I do pay for my own games, and I did pay for my console.  So I do feel as if I should get some evidence that it can or cannot ruin the discs. I am simply labeling this as dangerous by default because it is not something that the console does by default.  So any evidence(the more technical and elaborate the better.) would be nice. Thank you.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 75 Applies to:

Which console are you using?  S model or the original?  either way, its not something that seems normal, but if the disk spins a little like  1/4 turn as it comes out it could just be hitting the side of the tray as it slides out.

My recommendation, is to install all games to your HDD providing you don't have the 4gig slim model, reason for this is that A) it will no longer read from the disk and thus less chance to ruin it, if you are indeed afraid of it doing that.   and B) it's also easier on the system to read from the HDD and will help in the longevity of your system. (the disk still needs to be present in the system to load, but after about 1 min the drive shuts down)

To installs games, from the dashboard screen select the home tab and rather than clicking A to launch game, press X.  This will prompt you with a few options, one of which is to install the game.  I know this is not a fix for the loud scratchy noise you are hearing from the drive as you take out the games, but it will prevent further lets say deterioration of the drive in the future.

To be honest the disk is made to spin in the tray, so spinning while it comes out, will not harm it.  I would say the noise is not coming from the disk but the tray ejecting and possibly the rollers are getting stuck or having a hard time pushing the tray out.

If your console is still under warranty, you may wish to submit a repair request and have the tray looked at. support.xbox.com/.../repair-process  That link will get you started. You can get it repaired off warranty, but it wont be free so just be ready.

Let us know.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I don't think it's under warranty...did you look at the video I sent? and yes, I install all my games to the hard drive, so...

"To be honest the disk is made to spin in the tray, so spinning while it comes out, will not harm it.  I would say the noise is not coming from the disk but the tray ejecting and possibly the rollers are getting stuck or having a hard time pushing the tray out."

Yeah, I thought about this as well.  But I don't know. I'd rather have some technical details on how it works and why it's not causing harm.

Sorry this didn't help.

Ya, I saw the video I just assume that person has just inserted the disk and the went and ejected it right away, though the drive should power down regardless.  It's almost like its not powering down before it ejects, I've tried it on mine to eject after inserting right away and it doesn't continue spinning. The only thing I can suggest is that seeing if restoring the Xbox to factory default by running the initial start-up process, will help it remember how to stop spinning the drive before ejecting.

It doesn't seem to be a very common issue, of the issues I can see, they just say make sure your on the dashboard before ejecting, but from that video the person already was. Thus I assume you are too, you could always call into repair and see what they think it might be, or just wait here for somebody else that might know a little bit more about the issue to answer back.

Sorry mate, hopefully somebody will get back to the post.

Sorry this didn't help.

How do I put it back to factory default settings? every video iv'e looked at does not work...

And will putting it to default erase all my data? I keep hearing it will and won't....

I guess I can try this, it's the best I can do, until I am able to do something else.

I have a slim by the way.

Sorry this didn't help.

Sometimes it spins. Sometimes it does not, is there anybody here with technical experince? I just want to know. Maybe I can possibly fix it myself if I have to...

Sorry this didn't help.

DO NOT fix it yourself, as once you open up the system on your own, you void any repair Microsoft will do to it. I don't mean warranty I'm mean overall repair of the system, cause once its opened by an outside party, they will refuse to repair it and will ship it back to you unfixed.

Sorry this didn't help.

ok...but does anybody have any information on this yet.  I can understand this stuff.  But i'd still like some technical information...on why it's doing it and what I can do to fix it.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there!  Official Support here.  To be honest, that would be something you could send in for a repair on. It sounds like you've been through all other troubleshooting, so if you're concerned, that'll be the way to go.  As for the "why," I'm afraid we don't have any specifics on that.

Sorry this didn't help.