disc reading error after downloading june/2012 dashboard update

My xbox 360 will no longer read any game or DVD discs. I'll put a disc into the xbox, on screen will show that the xbox is "reading" the disc, then it will change to "open tray". I know these discs are fine because they have been used plenty of times before. This didn't start happening until the day that i downloaded the latest dashboard update. Any suggestions on help or what to do will be much appreciated.

Things that I've tried to fix the situation:

-try using mutilple "clean" dics      -removed the update/then re-downloaded it      -clearing system cache     -went through the "official trouble shooter"     -support chat with an ambassador

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

Greetings MasterJohnson89,

I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems trying to play your games. Please let me try to help you.

1. If your console is unable to read a disc, there are two things to try right off the bat.

First, check that the disc you’re using is from the same region as your console. The region will be listed on the right side of the disc, near the center, or on the upper right-hand corner of the game case’s face (NTSC is for all of North and South America; NTSC-J is for Asia; and PAL includes Europe, South Africa, India, Australia, and New Zealand).

The second thing you’ll want to try is cleaning the reflective surface on the disc with a soft , slightly damp cloth (water only!), lightly wiping from the inside out. If that doesn’t resolve your issue, please try some of the steps listed below, depending on if you’re trying to play a game, DVD, or music CD.

2. Clear your cache

Your cache stores items such as game and system updates and gamer pictures. Don’t worry, you won’t lose your saves or profile by clearing the cache.

To clear your cache, navigate to the ‘My Xbox’ channel in the dashboard menu, within which you can select ‘System Settings’. Select ‘memory,’ highlight the HDD, and press (Y). Select ‘Clear System Cache,’ then ‘Yes.’

3. Remove your Hard Drive

If the game starts with the hard drive removed, then power off the console, reattach the drive, and try the game again. If you’re unsure how to remove the hard drive, check this guide for instructions. If it doesn’t work only with the hard drive attached, then your hard drive will need to be replaced.

4. Removing any other memory units or USB flash drives

If removing one of these resolves the issue, then power down the console and try again with the drive reattached. If the game doesn’t work only with the device in question attached, it will have to be replaced (or if it’s a USB, reformatted).

5. Try a different game disc

If a different game disc works, the first disc will need to be replaced. If other game discs also do not work, you’ll want to check your warranty status and set up a repair here: myservice.xbox.com/.../Welcome.aspx

Source: forums.xbox.com/.../25775.aspx

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello,

We can only offer you a couple of steps in order to see if this is a problem with your XBOX 360's hardware (which it does seem to be). 

If you've already followed the disc drive solution guide here, then you'll need to get your console repaired by following the instructions located on the site here.

If your console is under warranty this will be a free repair, if it's out of warranty it's a $99 USD one time repair fee and that will cover your console once you get it back for 90 days. Unfortunately these are the only two solutions offered for an issue such as this. 

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.