Disc read error fix

So quite some time back I started having the disc read issue that seems fairly common on my Xbox One console. I ignored it at the time since I had been using the console mainly for streaming video and some digital games. Fast forward a few months & I had a terrible time getting a Bluray to load. It was about this time I decided I'd check into it more, none of the MS suggested fixes worked unfortunately. I opted to start a chat with MS support regarding getting the console replaced under warranty and that's when things went from bad to worse. Apparently I was almost exactly 30 days out of warranty, when I pressed regarding a grace period I was told I was 4 days beyond that cutoff and would need to pay for any repairs. Well that's completely unacceptable in my eyes. I've had other companies go above & beyond with warranty coverage on much larger items that were more than 34 days out  of warranty (dishwasher, car, etc). 

Anyways, enough of my complaining. My question is has anyone actually permanently fixed a system with the issue? I'd really like to be able to use a console for physical media when the need arises without inserting the disc twenty times before it recognizes it. 

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 9 Applies to:

If you've already tried all of the troubleshooting here: support.xbox.com/.../disc-error, I believe that your only other option is to get it repaired.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I should have clarified, my question is has anyone repaired it themselves? Paying MS to fix faulty hardware isn't something I'm currently considering.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello

There are several things that could fix this issue (as long as it's not a mechanical hardware related issue)

1. Try a powercycle. This my seem redundant but it does help in some cases

1. Turn off your console by holding the Xbox button on the front of the console for approximately 10 seconds. The console will power down.
  2. Remove power from the Xbox (plug it out of the outlet), wait for approx 30 seconds
  3. plug everything back in

2. Clear persistent data

1. Go to the Home screen
  2. Press the Menu button on the controller
  3. Select Settings
  4. Select Disc & Blu-ray
  5. Persistent Storage
  6. Clear Persistent Storage

3. Powersaving mode

1. Go to the Home screen
  2. Press the Menu button on the controller
  3. Select Settings
  4. Select Power & startup
  5. Select Energy saving mode
  6. Turn your Xbox off and on again

4. Refreshing dashboard

Another thing that could work is refreshing the dashboard on your console, you can do this by holding down the Left trigger and the right trigger and when doing this tap the Y button. You'll see it refresh.

If none of the above works then it is most likely a mechanical internal issue which has issues reading discs

**edit**

Self repairing your console is against the CoC and Terms of use, it's seen as tampering which will result in Enforcement actions being taken

Sorry this didn't help.

I appreciate the list of troubleshooting steps, I have performed those before with only temporary success at best. That leads me to think it's a hardware issue as well.

Seems like this is a no-win scenario with those policies. Pay them to fix something a manufacturing defect or face the consequences.

Sorry this didn't help.

My disc drive hasn't worked once. I couldn't return it to the store because it was a year later before any games came out that I wanted.

My only options were to go without it while xbox fixed it(ship it to them). Or pay 400$ and they would send me a loaner....(while i shipped it to them).putting the risk back on me.

Now I'm stuck with a xbox defect and I paid 500$ for it.  

Sorry this didn't help.

Same issue here, $500 paid for junk as my discs won't load. Seems my warranty expired also. How frustrating is this????????

Sorry this didn't help.

Yeah, I get no answer on twitter. Nothing. I work for a big auto manufacturer and it is a huge deal about our quality. Maybe microsoft could learn a thing or two about not shipping defects.

Sorry this didn't help.

The year warranty is there to ensure that there are no manufacturing defects. Also, I'm pretty sure Twitter support only works M-F or something like that, but I could be wrong.

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm not sure if anyone is familiar with failure rates, they typically come in the form of a bathtub where a mass majority of failures happen either early in the life of a device or much later in its life. Thirteen months still falls under as a manufacturing defect as far as I'm concerned and should be covered by the manufacturer.

What happened to the MS who repaired my old 360 when the RRoD stuff all went down? That gave me a positive view on the company but with this optical drive thing I'm starting to have my doubts.

To make matters worse my wife generously bought me a game for my birthday, it took me no less than 5 minutes to get the system to recognize the disc. Completely unacceptable.

Sorry this didn't help.

2 years, 2 bad disc drives!  what a hunk of junk.  I refuse to pay $135 to repair something they have already repaired once.  This is a systematic issue and they should be fixing on their dime.  Hell they should be recalling the *** thing and putting in disc drives that work!!!!!!!!!

Sorry this didn't help.