Disc Drive unable to open anymore

For quite some time now, the disc drive on my Xbox has been unable to open properly, completely refusing to open while the Xbox stands vertically, and only opening the disc drive while laying flat AND with a disc in. Even then, the disc drive does not open fully, cutting itself short by a few millimetres, enough for the Xbox to give up and take back the disc tray after a couple seconds. It also has difficulty reading most discs. Discs that work fine everytime at a friend's house on their console work maybe 10% of the time on mine. The tray closes, the drive whirs for a moment, whirs again for a bit longer, then gives up and says there is no disc in the tray, despite having spun the disc in the tray. It almost seems like the drive is having issues gripping the discs because when it does work and actually believes there is a disc in place, it only whirs once, and only for a split second. All of the above means I have to fight my Xbox for a good 20 minutes or so before it reads the disc and plays it, which leads me to simply idling the Xbox at the main menu of a game for hours on end, for fear of turning it off and the Xbox somehow forgetting there is a disc in place, leading to another lengthy battle. Whenever the disc drive shut without a disc in place, it would plainly refuse to open, resulting in me peeling off the faceplate, getting a bobby pin, and poking around inside the holes just under the disc tray, trying to find that sweet spot that forces the release of the tray. Unfortunately, this manual eject doesn't seem to work anymore, either. The 'sweet spot' doesn't seem to cut it anymore. I can push it, feel it slide back, see the Xbox start blinking as it acknowledges that I'm fiddling with the tray, but then I can't tweak it again to actually release the tray and allow me to pull it out and put a disc in to start another techno fight. All in all, I think the disc drive on my Xbox has died a slow, painful death and was wondering how much it costs to get it sent off for repairs/replacement. (In £/GBP)

TL:DR

My Xbox died. Wat do? How much to get repaired?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 5 Applies to:

If you book a repair online yourself at myservice.xbox.com and your console is Out Of Warranty it will cost you around £75. If you where to book the repair through phone support it would be about £20 more expensive.

I'd suggest doing it online.

Good luck!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.