Disc drive making beeps when I put in a disc. Is this normal?

This happened 4-5 times. I put in Fable 3 and the console was fine but I heard this low pitched beeping sound (not VERY low pitched, but not high pitched either) and occasionally when I played. It happened with Black Ops as well. It did not interrupt gameplay, it just beeped. Not sure if it's the disc drive going on me or what, I've only had the thing since Christmas. I tried putting Battlefield 3 in and it did not beep.

Here is a video I recorded of the sound. You may have to turn up the volume a bit, and it is near the end. You'll probably know when you hear it. It kind of sounds like a check-out at a grocery store.

http://s1175.photobucket.com/albums/r629/toonlink989591/?action=view&current=xboxsound.mp4

it's an Xbox 360 SLIM, just so you know. I put in Fable 3 in again a few minutes ago and it was fine. I even played around 10 minutes of the game and didn't get that beep.. thank goodness.  EDIT: To be precise the beep is at EXACTLY 2 seconds in.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 843 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

If you are worries that your Console is failing then you should contact support and see what they have to say about your issue

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I'm not so sure it's failing, but it's a sound that has peaked my interest. The console's performance hasn't gone, it's just the beep that is making me wonder. I can't get it to happen again, so I don't know. Could it have been the way I inserted the disc? If I hear the sound again I will probably contact support.

Sorry this didn't help.

Just an FYI. You do know that the Normal Slim consoles will beep if the eject/power buttons are touched?

You could try unplugging the console and then wiping the 2 buttons with a DRY TOWEL. Sometimes fingerprrints causes the sensors to glitch.

If the console shows no sign of proformance issues then just let it be. You are still under the warrenty untill christmas so really you have time to see if its a serious problem.

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes, I am aware of the beeping, but this is a different kind of beeping. If you copy and pasted the Photobucket link I posted, you'd be able to hear the beep I am talking about. I just put in a disc and I heard the sound yet again. I'm starting to think it is something serious, and I have already sent an email to Xbox Support.

I have one question, this is my first Xbox, so if they want me to send in my Xbox, do I take apart the entire console? Do I send the console with the hard drive in or do I take the hard drive out and just send the console?

Sorry this didn't help.

You would take out your hard drive

Sorry this didn't help.

Greetings, shreds97. If you have any questions about the repair process please take a look at this support article titled "Xbox 360 repair: Frequently asked questions". Just for clarification, is this issue impacting your gameplay or the way your console functions? It seems like it only occurs when you insert a disc. Is that correct? Are the games you mentioned currently installed on your hard drive? Let me know! :)

Sorry this didn't help.

Some games are installed, some are not. Skyrim, Quantum of Solace, and Left 4 Dead are on my hard drive. The beep only happens when it's reading the disc when I put it in but does NOT happen when playing. The rest of my games are not installed and make the noise when it is first reading the disc and occasionally when playing. Doesn't seem to be affecting gameplay but it sounds like the Xbox's disc drive's laser or something. It only happens when I insert a disc and even when the sound occurs the Xbox doesn't freeze up. I had some lag in Skyrim (pretty bad) but I think that was only because I have a lot of games on the hard drive so clearing the cache seemed to solve that for the most part... but then again Skyrim lags for me if I don't play it in a loooong time (not sure why but it happens and has only freezed once but that was 2 months ago)

It doesn't APPEAR to affect my console nor gameplay. It's a sound that just irks me. It sounds like the beeping when someone is scanning products at a store, such as Wal-Mart. I contacted Xbox Support and I got a response saying that they never heard of such a thing and that if it continues to happen and if it impacts gameplay or console functionality to "not hesitate to call us." Not really sure why they don't know, but I guess I can't really blame them since I've never heard the sound on any Xbox I've encountered.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey shreds97! Unfortunately this may be a case of a slightly noisy disc drive. When did you purchase your console? I noticed the stickler on the disc tray - was it relatively recently? If so, are you able to exchange it with your retailer? A different console would likely not exhibit that sound. :)

Sorry this didn't help.

I got the Xbox as a Christmas gift (2011) so it's been around 7 or 8 months now. My friend who also owns an Xbox said her Xbox occasionally makes the sound that mine's been doing, but I don't know what could be causing it. I haven't been hearing it much lately, though. It sounds to me like it's the laser in the disc drive. If I continue to hear this sound I will probably get a new console.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the update, shreds. As Miss Portia noted it seems like this is merely a case of a slightly noisy disc drive. It seems like the noise has somewhat subsided for you, which is great! Keep us posted if the noise comes back and if you decide to get a new console.

Sorry this didn't help.