Disc Drive is Grinding! Brand New !!

Just took the XBOX ONE console that Santa left at our house out of the box, put in a brand new game and the disc drive is grinding.  Sounds like a bag of hammers inside the disc drive & it won't play a game or DVD / Blue Ray.  What do we do?  Take it back to the store at the "North Pole" or call Microsoft?  New to XBOX and need some guidance!

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 9 Applies to:

Mine did the same thing, there's no fix for it. Its a return thing. Guess this is what happens when the builders are outsourced to the lowest biding Chinese sweatshop.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Is the console laying flat or standing on end?  If it's standing on end then lay it flat as that will be the cause.  If it is laying flat then you should either return it to the store at the "North Pole" for a replacement or contact Microsoft to set up a repair on the console.

Good luck.

http://myservice.xbox.com/

Sorry this didn't help.

i found a youtube video where you take all of the plugs out of your xbox, turn it upside down (on a towel or soft surface) and bang it a few times where the disc drive is and it will work (worked for me but still ordering a new one) apparently there are gears in the disc drive which are not aligned properly, i do not believe this is a perm fix so you will still need to order a replacement

Sorry this didn't help.

I'd be very careful trying llB1GDADDYll's solution, nothing against him. But doing such a thing may further damage your console, and possibly void your warranty. I can understand the want to find a temporary solution, but if the console needs to be replaced, you shouldn't risk voiding your warranty.

Sorry this didn't help.

Request a repair from Microsoft online and send it in.  If you do the advanced replacement, they will send you a new Xbox FIRST then you return your broken Xbox later.  All they need to do it put a hold of $499 on your credit card.  It's not a charge, but it's just an authorization that places the funds aside so you don't spend it.  When they receive the broken console, they will release the hold on the $499.  Also, you get a code to download a Microsoft Studios game for the inconvenience!

Sorry this didn't help.