Disc drive having an increasingly hard time recognizing Blu Rays or DVDs; plays game discs just fine

It recognizes any game disc just fine. However, any Blu Ray or DVD that I insert usually gets a few burst of a sort of soft grinding noise, before it settles down and pretends like nothing has been inserted. Even if I select the Blu Ray App and try to play it from there, it just tells me I still need to insert a disc.

I've tried doing a hard reset before insertion (sorry, that just sounds naughty), but it doesn't seem to make any difference. I will usually try standing there, inserting and ejecting the disc over and over about 20 times before I hear a smooth whirring (the kind that it ALWAYS makes when I put a game disc in) and it'll register the movie's actually in there and it'll start playing. 

I would think its a drive issue, but all my game discs consistently work fine on the first try. Does anyone have any insight?

Honestly, I'd hate to have to send my Xbox One in for repairs; my entire family practically depends on it by now and it'd be very hard to do without. 

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

I have had (and still have) similar issues. I get the best results from my DVD's and Blue-Ray's when I give them a little push when slipping them into the drive. Hope it helps!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I have the same problems. Funny thing was I sent it in and they sent it back about a month later saying everything was fixed. I plugged it up and it worked for a short while and right back to doing it again. I contacted them again about it and went through the process of sending it again. I received it (a month later) with a note saying nothing is wrong with the unit. Yes there is I even recorded the problem on my phone showing that it does not recognize there is a disc in it. I have to unplug the system and plug it back in to get my disc out. I have put a lot of money in this system, games and controllers and they act like they do not care. It just sucks how they act about it. Sorry for the problems you are having.

Sorry this didn't help.

Yikes... That tells me I don't want to try sending it in if I can get it to work. Anyone else have this problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey moreCOWBELL 247,

That whole paragraph sounded naughty :D. Anyways sorry to hear about your issue. I'd like to to try A normal quick fix that should fix your issue. If it doesn't work I'll provided you with an article about disc errors. This article will go a bit more in depth than I do. Well allot more. But any way here you go.

Quick Fix :

- Launch Settings (Please)

- Select the tile reading "Disc & Blue-ray"

- Shuffle over to the middle column.

- Select Persistent storage

- Select clear

- Hold down the power button on your console for 10 seconds

- Turn your console back on.

- Insert the disc and watch your movie

(Note please remove all disc from the disc tray while preforming these steps)

Okay awesome.... So I hoped that worked. Here is the link support.xbox.com/.../disc-error that I promised. Well I actually didn't promise it but I said I'd give it to you. Well there you have it :D sweet. I'll be around if you need me. Have fun watching movies.

- Voss

Sorry this didn't help.

Grrr.. It didn't work. Thanks for the effort, though. I will check the link and see if I get any help there. With the feedback I've read, sending it in for repairs isn't a fun experience is isn't a guarantee it'll get fixed with a working drive, especially after waiting so long for it to come back.

Sorry this didn't help.