Here you go 

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/directx/archive/2014/03/20/directx-12.aspx

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 15 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

So am guessing we don't have to do anything with this new hardware?

Dx12 and x1 relate very much

The dx12 stuff looks like the main overhauls where designed into the Xbox, such as multi core processing, multi threading, memory management, data streaming, and better pointers and tables. (Trying not to go to techy) so take into consideration multi OS, multi memory pools separate controllers to each DDR pool and ESram pool, multi threaded and multiple processors, dual GPU render pipes.  

There is also more and better use of compression usually done in software, xbox has jpeg and swizzle hardware compress/decompress. Then another potential bottle neck would be having this data in the right place at the right time, so the move engines come into play allowing compress - move - decompress. This is new and better ways to process these vast quantities of data, and in my opinion the way new 3rd graphics will start to be coded, moving away from the brute force multiple CU method which is in efficient.

Thanks for that

SO am i correct in saying Xbox will become better

Yes the xbox will become better once these techniques start to become more familiar to the developers.

Basically major increases specially when engines are designed for it

DX-12 is the future for now. Why do you think they would have a week long convention capping off with DX-12.

Because it is an big advancement.

DX has been the main API since the 90's. the devs will get DX12 and make better looking games. id be happy for all games to be delayed to use this but i think DX12 will only be used on xbox one exclusives i could be wrong though? because if they used it on multiplats then sony would get it i would like someone to help with what i am saying though

The best way to describe it, would be a NEW processor instruction set comes out, it still has all the old instruction sets but can run them quicker and a more streamlined way.

It also has NEW instruction sets and better management of other system resources that may have been done in software previously, until software is written to use these NEW instruction sets you can only rely on it running the old stuff quicker, and more efficiently.

So this is why DX12 will bring speed increases to existing code, but has the ability to do much better things further down the line. So NEW tech vs off the shelf last gen. :)