Digitally Buy, Sell & Trade Games through Console

I want a console I can buy games digitally at a reasonable price. I want to pay considerably less than full price for a game that I don't physically own. I want to be able to access these games instantly; on demand, streaming from the system's HD not the 'cloud' regardless if I'm online at the time. I want buying digital copies to be cheaper with very clear incentives.

I respect copyright material, but I want the ability to buy, sell, and trade whatever 'licenses' I have bought for my games, movies and music. I would like to see a system app that streamlines consumers ability to buy, sell, borrow and trade 'licenses' right through the console to fellow community members – perhaps similar to Ebay's structure. And I don’t want my entire digital collection to become obsolete with next gen tech.

I also want the console to feature state-of-the-art graphics with great peripherals. That, I believe, would be a great console. I think the first system to incorporate all these features in a seamless manner would by far have the better system. And I think Microsoft is in a good position to do that. It just has to be done right.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

edit: wrong thread

[quote user="malice 2 all"]I want to pay considerably less than full price for a game that I don't physically own.[/quote]Physical possession of media does not change the "ownership" of the title.

Physical discs and packaging are low cost. You're not paying for that, you're paying for the game itself.[quote]I want to be able to access these games instantly; on demand, streaming from the system's HD not the 'cloud' regardless if I'm online at the time.[/quote]That's not how the laws of physics work.[quote]I want buying digital copies to be cheaper with very clear incentives.[/quote]They're not for movies. They're not for music. They're not for launch titles on Steam. They're not for launch titles on PSN. What makes you think they should be?[quote]And I don’t want my entire digital collection to become obsolete with next gen tech.[/quote]Then buy a PC.[quote]I also want the console to feature state-of-the-art graphics[/quote]Neither does, so you're done. Come back next gen.

You completely misunderstood my entire post. You can not tell me that selling a game as a download will cost the publishers the same as physical media. You're nuts. The cost of manufacturing and shipping certainly play into production costs. To make a game, place it on a server, then allow people to buy downloaded copies is much cheaper than the manufacture and shipping of the same media.

I'm just saying if a company wants to be an all-in-one platform then they should think outside the box and offer more to customers to generate a user base. I think a well made, streamlined store to buy, sell and trade all your media would be a good thing for the industry and the company that successfully implements it.

I don't want to start my collection over whenever new hardware is released. If a company wants a purely digital ecosystem, clearly this is Microsoft's intentions, why make loyal participants lose excess to this media (it is a bit late for this idea, maybe next time).

I want state-of-the-art graphics at a console price point. A system optimized for gaming with the graphics and compute power available at that price point.

To be honest, you come off as a know-it-all DB. All your points where hastily put together thoughts that really show a simple mind at work. Thanks for you the reply though. Perhaps the next person will actually have something intelligent to add to my original idea.

Malice, I like your vision....you should apply for the head of MS game division!

I agree with you Malice ,problem is the hdd is only 500 gigs. .Wtf.  

Pretty neat how you can pre download new games and they unlock on launch...no more going to game stores dealing with a holes trying to rip you off

[quote user="malice 2 all"]You completely misunderstood my entire post.[/quote]Not from where I sit.[quote]You can not tell me that selling a game as a download will cost the publishers the same as physical media.[/quote]I can say that the cost of physical copies for the publishers isn't a huge chunk of the pie ($4). If you want to argue that having it in Brick and Mortar stores is expensive, that's fine, but it's questionable as to how a game with zero retail presence is going to do. Something has to be in stores, even if it's just activation codes on a card. The stores will still want a cut.[quote]You're nuts.[/quote]Insulting me instead of addressing my points isn't going to help your argument.[quote]To make a game, place it on a server, then allow people to buy downloaded copies is much cheaper than the manufacture and shipping of the same media.[/quote]It's a $4 difference.[quote]I'm just saying if a company wants to be an all-in-one platform then they should think outside the box and offer more to customers to generate a user base.[/quote]Review the threads as of late asking about Digital games on the consoles. See how many people are balking at 35-60GB downloads.

MS never wanted to remove physical. They understand that the bits delivery system of a disc is important to the console ecosystem.[quote] I think a well made, streamlined store to buy, sell and trade all your media would be a good thing for the industry and the company that successfully implements it.[/quote]A used digital goods market is questionable at best. Cheaper digital goods is a simpler alternative. It's what Steam sales do.[quote]I don't want to start my collection over whenever new hardware is released.[/quote]Then buy a PC. Consoles are custom hardware. Custom hardware does not last forever. Custom hardware is non-trivial to emulate.[quote]To be honest, you come off as a know-it-all[/quote]The points you have put forward have been thoroughly debated.[quote]DB.[/quote]Really? Another attack on my person and not my arguments?

IceStorm - I didn't want my initial post to resort to name calling...I'm sorry I called you a DB [laughing]. That being said you have some valid points but I think I addressed all of them. You say the savings would be an arbitrary "$4". Not sure where that number comes from. I would think it would be more. For sake of argument I'll say your right. Why are those savings not passed onto the consumer?  Why do we still pay full price for a digital copy if it costs less to make it? Even $4 would save the gamer more than what Gamestop offers on a used new release game.

I'm talking of a hypothetical system at this point so Xbox One's 500 GB HD would be a problem. I won't argue that. Didn't XB1's original DRM policy involve physical disks downloading content to the HD which would then allow the game to be played without the disk? Basically you would download the license from the disk. You would think that Xbox would have made the HD larger for that reason. To your point, I'm not sure how much data would be pulled of a disk that is not in the slot.

You also mention that Steam has "cheaper goods". Ok great! There's an example to follow! Now you just figure out how they manage to drive down costs and offer competitive deals to their costumers on there service. Use that strategy in a Xbox Buy, Sell, Borrow (or give) and Trade type store. I would envision it something like an XboxLive Marketplace/Ebay/iTunes hybrid. Perhaps there could be a small insertion type fee that would go back to the devs and publishers for sales between community members. Any marketing for new games would be done through the consoles dashboard directed at players preferences. The market is certainly there for such a store - Gamestop does quite well - and wasn't the used game market a big reason Microsoft pulled back on their initial DRM plans?

I wonder if there are ideas out there that could make some of these suggestions work instead of essentially just saying it's stupid. I guess I'm old school...I'm just not really buying into digital media I basically 'lease' and never truly own. There are many positives to this type of media, but certainly drawbacks too. I'd like to see more options and have more confidence that my purchase will be around for the long haul. $60 is a lot more dough to cough up compared to the amount spent on digital music and movies.

Yup...not having to drive to a store to pick up a new game is friggin awesome...the price has to be right though for me.

Re-bread my previous post. You've neglected to read the link I provided staring $4. You have neglected to acknowledge that Steam titles are full price at launch. You have refused to acknowledge that Digital titles have been available for quite a while and their prices are the same as retail. Repeating what you want will not make it so.