Digital media vs blu ray

HI there, I am just wondering how people find using this service compared to other formats such as blu ray, I bought Skyfall through xbox video and it is pretty good, I know streaming is no where near as blu ray, but are many of you embraced buying digitally like here on xbox.

I do not download the movie as I stream and it is pretty amazing so just curious, I want to invest more money into adding more content on my xbox, my only concern is when my xbox goes wrong and I have put all my eggs into one basket

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

um... if something goes wrong your account still has the record of what you've downloaded....you can always do it again

[quote user="WaterierDoor49"]

HI there, I am just wondering how people find using this service compared to other formats such as blu ray, I bought Skyfall through xbox video and it is pretty good, I know streaming is no where near as blu ray, but are many of you embraced buying digitally like here on xbox.

I do not download the movie as I stream and it is pretty amazing so just curious, I want to invest more money into adding more content on my xbox, my only concern is when my xbox goes wrong and I have put all my eggs into one basket

[/quote]I prefer to buy blu-ray when buying high def movies (what few I buy anyways).  While having the history to download again if for some reason the file gets corrupt, I still have to keep the file on a hard drive that will only continue to fill up over time.  Having media that I can swap in and out of the machine is a preference that I enjoy.  Also I have a high end sound system and I like the lossless audio that blu-ray provides.  I am not sure if xbox video has lossless audio or not.

I bought skyfall last week via xbox video and I was impressed with the quality of the streaming, bearing in mind that it can never be the same quality of blu ray.  I also subscribe to Netflix which is not bad either.  There is always the likelihood however that the xbox could break so with the blu ray disc you still got a physical copy.

I also got doctor who season 6, I want to get season 4 but xbox does not have the specials so I had to buy blu ray.  

I have a 720p plasma so digital all the way.  But now that blu-ray is 5 dollars a disc...   I'll just keep downloading digital rentals.

I buy bluray instead of digital. I'm worried when new consoles come out, that all my content I paid for will be left behind. I have 62 arcade games that I will lose if they don't allow us to transfer them.