Digital game ownership question

I'm sure this may have been covered but I'm wondering If me and my wife both have X1 like we currently have 2 360's, how does the download rights work?  Right now if I download a arcade game on my bedroom system she can play that game on her gt and I can play co op from the living room.  Will it pretty much work the same way?  If so I may go all digital.  Sorry if this has been covered, and thanks in advance for any replies.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 11 Applies to:

The way I can see it working is this.make console in one room home gold and download all your digital games on that machine.anyone that uses the home gold machine can play on xbox live even if they don't have gold membership.then simply log in on another console in another room and all your games will be there ready to play.both will be able to play online together.hope it will work this way it will be great for me and the kids to play together online.

[quote user="DaT DaRthCleRiC"]Will it pretty much work the same way?[/quote]Doesn't appear so. Unlike the 360's first downloaded console getting the console license, now the "home" console gets the console license. All other consoles can access the content using the gamertag license.

It's currently possible to spread one's content across multiple console licenses. For instance, my limited edition Halo 3 theme DLC has a console license that is bound to my Halo 3 console. My Halo games bought from the Marketplace are bound to my Halo 4 console. All my other content ends up bound to my MW3 console.

In the new order, all content purchased will bind its license to the console I designate as my "home" console. The advantage is you can buy content anywhere and not worry about having to do a license release/renew. The disadvantage is that special edition consoles that come with codes won't be able to "keep" their content if the content is redeemed by a single gamertag that is used across multiple consoles.

OK..  here we go....

Has to do with HOME GOLD

You get 2 consoles... one in BR   one in LR... assign one of those consoles as your main console... the one where you will DLing the games and such...  you place that console into the secondary room (BR)... that being said... Anyone who plays at your home console (BR) will get access to all your games....including a gold membership... so what happens is... you download ALL the games onto your wife's unit (BR)... so she gets access to everything (as well as free gold (no longer need to pay for 2 XBL Golds) at the same you play on the other console (LR)..

You being the main gold account member.. any games you purchase on your home gold console (BR) are available to you ANYWHERE you go... (LR) friends house etc etc etc

Ok Thanks alot guys!  So pretty much just how I do now with the arcade games only she won't need an additional xbox live sub.  Thats pretty awesome!  Now hopefully there is a way to get more storage in the future if games will be upwards of 40gb installs!

since you are going digital.... they are yours for the lifetime of your XB1 & XBL account. You can always delete and re-download any game you paid for for free...anytime...and in the future, they are seriously planning on bringing out a trade/sell/loan for digital games...

I hope that actually does happen in the future. I for one was all for the original idea of sharing your library with 10 friends and family or what ever it was. Hopefully MS revisits that idea also!

This should work between 2 diff houses too if you 'swap' designated 'home/primary' consoles.

yeah there are work arounds....

I own the gold.... account and the box.. and give it to you...  just goto your house to buy a game.... I go home and play it...  but SHHHHHHHHH lets not let people on to that scheme ... Big brother is listening

I don't even think you need to be on a particular console to buy games. They're not locked to a console. Just your account.

[quote user="DaT DaRthCleRiC"]

Ok Thanks alot guys!  So pretty much just how I do now with the arcade games only she won't need an additional xbox live sub.  Thats pretty awesome!  Now hopefully there is a way to get more storage in the future if games will be upwards of 40gb installs!

[/quote]

External Hard drives