Digital Download/Bandwidth issues

I understand digital is the wave of the future for our media needs, however I don't think we are quite ready for it.  I currently have a 40/5 connection and it takes awhile (an hr or so) for me to download the free games that have been on Xbox live. One would assume the games for the newer consoles are going to be a tad larger. Take a game like Cod or BF, imagine what it will be like when there are tens of thousands of peeps trying to dl that content all at once on release day. I bet there will be some serious bottleneck problems or flat out server crashes.  I have experienced that on just about every MMO I have played on the pc.

Second issue will be glitches. I have had a zune for many years and have lost many songs due to glitches or license issues only to have to rebuy them because MS no longer had the song with the same "drm" attached to it. That really sucks. Also, one hiccup on a long download, power hit/internet bump etc, and their is gonna be a corrupt file and will have to start the dl all over again. 

Until we have a solid wide pipe(like google is currently doing), I thinks we should wait just a tad longer before we go all out.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 11 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Actually, under the original plan, you could buy the disk at what ever retailer you liked.  You would then install off of a disk, but you had the option to download it on a different console.  

-

And google doesn't really have a solid pipe either.  Google does not provide a direct line from Microsoft to your console.  Unless you mean more bandwidth.  Which is fine, you can have a 1gig connection, but if the server you are downloading from can only push out 100 meg/min, then you won't be saturating that connection you got.  That's what get's me about google and Verizon.  Yeah, you are getting a pretty nifty connection, but it's useless if the server you are downloading from is saturated or can only push data down your pipe at a fraction of what that pipe can support.  And I won't even mention all the points in between your source and your provider.

My experience downloading large games/dlc packs with xbox360: the download speed is slow on their side (i.e. their servers/infrastructure) I can download from other places quite a bit faster....I have several spare 1 and 2 TB usb 3.0 external HDD if needed.

My mistake then.

[quote user="HairyLoveSpuds"]So if you have say a 40GB download limit, you could have some issues buying over 2 games a month, don't forget updates and such. Be aware of how much you download.[/quote]

I have 100gig a month currently and dont plan on buying alot of games every month. i just dont have the time. But yeah if your on 40gig and a keen as gamer with cash and time you may have a problem with digital.

I have unlimited download so I will be fine :) and I can download pretty fast

They seriously need to start selling digital games on flash drives, or some kind of drive that you can bring to a store and fill with games.

[quote user="blinkerty blink"]

I mean't instead of all digital.

[/quote]

It was never all digital either.

Xbox 360 will remain with 15,000 Xbox Live servers worldwide.

Xbox One will have 300,000 Azure, Xbox Live servers worldwide.

Xbox One has 32MB ESRAM memory bandwidth 102GB/s, with a theoretical memory bandwidth of 192GB/s and a memory bandwidth of 133GB/s has been achieved involving alpha transparency blending. The GPU has a 12 compute units with 768 cores running at 853 MHz with 1.31 TFLOPS.

-

You can compared hardware data between Xbox One and PS4 on Wikipedia's site. Some legit info there.

-

My house has a limit of 50GB ADSL Broadband per month, I use most of it, if it goes over, our ISP charges $1/GB or speed is slowed right down to dialup speed for the rest of the month. Games for Xbox One will ALL be able to be in NATIVE HD,and (not sub-HD upscaled to HD as with many games for 360 because of limited space DVD and hardware limitations on the 360 compared with the One)  especially Full HD 1080p, which can makes games several GB's big. If this is an issue, I'd suggest getting retail disc version games as you should be able to use the disc like the 360 to play it on different consoles and doesn't quite have the same restraints as digital content.  

-

Many pp go one that they have some multiplayer issues with Xbox 360 games. Even though they may have ADSL Broadband and have Open NAT and an N router, this is not entirely our fault. It's because Xbox Live for Xbox 360 has only 15,000 Xbox Live servers worldwide. This is the info I have right now ^u^ :)

This is why they brought physical media back. Hurrah!

I got used to my internet speed so I can roughly guess how long i need to be downloading something, plus with background downloading it'll be fine. Also with corrupted files? I haven't experienced that.

And I'm sure the 300,000 servers can keep up with the traffic. If not that would be a disaster.

I mean't instead of all digital.