Didn't Know Where to Post This, But This Needs To Be Adressed.

I begin this with a quote from Xbox Live's Terms of Service:

"you are entirely responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your Windows Live ID password and account. Furthermore, you are entirely responsible for any and all activities that occur under your account on the Xbox Live. Microsoft will not be liable for any loss that you may incur as a result of someone else using your account, either with or without your knowledge. However, you could be held liable for losses incurred by Microsoft or another party due to someone else using your account. You may not use anyone else’s account at any time, without the permission of the account holder."

My question and story is this: Someone hacked my account, and I have checked all my Friend's accounts, and messaged those who were still active. There was no way any of them stole them, and I proved this because the accounts in question did not have Singularity as a game with Achievements or a score. The only one that did has been proven innocent. I have not gone on Xbox Live with anyone else but with one person for nearly most of April, and this occured on April 22 and April 23. No person in any of my friends list knew my password, and my password is encrypted thanks to the people from MSN. I have lost nearly 5000 Microsoft Points, and I know where they went because my Purchase History tells me that it was used to pay for Singularity, A Limbo Theme, and Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition (Which I have already purchased myself, so it is impossible for me to purchase this twice.)

Knowing all this, there is only one possible explanation on how this occured: Microsoft and Xbox Live has been hacked illegally by an unknown person, and that individual has taken my account for his own. How I know this, is because I was still able to access my E-Mail, and there was no trace of anyone using my E-Mail Account, meaning they now possibly have a backdoor to my account, which means it no longer matters if I have security to my password, change my E-Mail's password, or any other option I have been given through Xbox.com. I had no possible protection against this threat in any way, shape, or form because I did not know this threat even existed until I checked my account today. I did not even receive the notice that my account was used on another console, which is even more frightening to myself. However, I only gained this knowledge recently because of checking my account points today, and seeing the results, I am displeased.

And still, we have the ruling that we are responsible for our protection of our account, and I understand this, but how can you defend your console or computer if you do not receive even a fair warning that the attack on your 360 wasn't even occuring?! And even though we are fully responsible for our own 360 and our Xbox Live Account, it says we cannot use another person's account at any time, without the permission of the account holder.

NOW things get interesting: Why can one not use another person's account without their permission if there are no reprecussions for using that person's account for one's own gain? Because since the Terms clearly state that we are responsible for what happens to our 360 and Xbox Live Account, and if something happens that we cannot stop, what's stopping the person from stealing everything from our account? What, I ask you?

The Answer: Nothing. And unless someone plans to take my complaint about my account being hacked in this manner, no one will do nothing, which it seems is what I can expect due to the Terms, am I correct? That no one goes unpunished for using my account without my permission, correct? Especially when they used advanced means to obtain my account, CORRECT?!

I only use a few sites online that actually have a username and password, and none of them are at risk, and boast the same promise of security like Microsoft as long as I don't reveal my password, which I haven't. I have not done any Special Leveling or Achievement Boosts. I did not even know my account was on another 360 until today. And no one has Phlished me or whatever that is.

Can I please get a proper explanation to what's happening to me? Because this has not been my best day, and I'm hoping for a proper solution, seeing as how I had no way or warning that this occured to me.

If anyone has any questions, I'll be here tomorrow to check on the status of this. And to answer a final question: No, I have not had my house broken in, and my account is still inside my 360, where it has stayed there for the entire month of April.

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 20 Applies to:

You've not read the 'My console was banned' folder have you? Little taster for you - http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/f/2366/t/248223.aspx - 

Also explain how if XBL has been hacked how we're not seeing gargantuan numbers of people having their accounts go missing in the last week? Why is it just you that's seemingly had their account commandeered using this backdoor? 

Next time come up with a better password instead of trying to second guess thieves or out clever them.  

EDIT: And as an aside if your account didn't go walkies from your console then I'd say it was an inside job. There can only be one copy of an account on one console at any one time. An account cannot be on two consoles at the same time, when it's recovered to a second console it deletes itself from the first console.  

EDIT2: And this person can't have purchased SSFIV:AE again using your account and MSP because the system won't let it. It'll just prompt them to download it again, points cannot be transferred between accounts either.  

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

One, I haven't heard of anyone else experience this, but this is true, or else I wouldn't have 101 Microsoft Points. I even have the Point Cards to prove I had 5000 Microsoft Points. I'll even put photos of the point cards if I have to.

My password was Japanese, so I'd highly doubt someone could guess it that easily. In fact, this is the only area where it's been broken. No where else has it been broken, but here in Xbox Live. So YOU Should ask first, not assume.

On EDIT: It can't be an inside job, because no one's had the ability to do that, and the only person that could has already proven himself innocent by showing me that he had the disc for it, meaning he couldn't have downloaded the game for a price. That, and I bought SSFIV: AE a while back ago, and yet, it's saying that it was purchased again, especially since I previously bought it for SSFIV Normal to be used for adaptation with it. Either Singularity costs 4000 or so Microsoft Points, or that is the case.

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="Emaruse"]One, I haven't heard of anyone else experience this, but this is true[/quote]

So wait you've heard of no one else having their account stolen via this back door, have no evidence to back up your claim but still say it must be true? And this is based on what exactly because if it's just your opinion then that stuff just ain't flying. 

[quote user="Emaruse"]My password was Japanese, so I'd highly doubt someone could guess it that easily. In fact, this is the only area where it's been broken. No where else has it been broken, but here in Xbox Live. So YOU Should ask first, not assume.[/quote]

Again with people assuming hackers do password cracking manually. They setup a script, go away and order a pizza, eat said pizza and return several hours later to see if the script was successful. If your password can be found in a dictionary of some kind then it's easily crackable regardless of language. 

[quote user="Emaruse"]That, and I bought SSFIV: AE a while back ago, and yet, it's saying that it was purchased again, especially since I previously bought it for SSFIV Normal to be used for adaptation with it. Either Singularity costs 4000 or so Microsoft Points, or that is the case.[/quote]

Can't have been, the system wouldn't allow it. You'd be prompted to download it again for free. 

EDIT: Seriously people this is what happens when you don't do your research properly before posting your god awful attempts at exposes or open letters. People like me come along, demand to see some evidence, get nothing but anger and fury in return for making such a simple request, people like me get very annoyed that we wasted our time asking for such things and everyone else just ignores you because you look like one of those nutjobs with a sandwich board shouting about the end of the world. 

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="VernierSlake"]

EDIT: And as an aside if your account didn't go walkies from your console then I'd say it was an inside job. There can only be one copy of an account on one console at any one time. An account cannot be on two consoles at the same time, when it's recovered to a second console it deletes itself from the first console

[/quote]That is not the case, in fact it has never been the case. Previously when an account was recovered onto another console it would disable LIVE access for the previous version, it would however not delete the original copy of the profile which would remain fully functional except of course for the lack of LIVE access.

However recently changes were made where you can have your profile on several console and have them all be able to connect to LIVE, only one at a time though of course.

The rest of the information you've posted is accurate though. 

Sorry this didn't help.

I stand corrected.

Sorry this didn't help.

Unless you are a part of the Family Gold Plan then ms points can not be transferred to another account. And even then only within the FGP can the points be transferred. Since you already purchased this game on your account, if you were to try to purchase it again it would not allow you to, it would only prompt you to re-download it.

Either way what you need to do is contact phone support in your region and have them begin an Unauthorized Access Investigation. The longer you wait the longer it will take to get your account back to normal.

Sorry this didn't help.

VernierSlake, I'm actually not one of those nutjobs with a sandwich board shouting about the end of the world. In fact, you're actually incorrect on this one all the way! I even VOLUNTEERED to give proof that I had the Microsoft Points to back up my claim that the points even existed.

And yes, I haven't heard of anyone else having this same situation happening, and that's because I don't stalk these forums like you, who apparently isn't even on STAFF here! Secondly, my password can be found through a script without me even knowing it? Now you're just agreeing with me on this point! I couldn't have known! That, and I'll be surprised if my password even IS in the Dictionary.

I even agreed with you on possibly that SSFIV: AE was probably just re-downloaded and Singularity costed a lot of points! Why are you getting that defensive over it?

And NOW, someone else made a topic about getting their Account Hacked, and he doesn't know what happened either. You want me to show proof? What would you like me to show? I can show you my Purchase History, type all of my Microsoft Point Cards I gained before the incident, what do you need? Because I'd rather hear from a staff member instead of some wanna-be Back Seat Modder who thinks he's all that because he has a bigger Gamerscore!

I am quite annoyed by you, VernierSlake, so respect that. I'd actually like to hear something positive or something that can help me for once.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there Emaruse! As Tem suggested, you should contact phone support immediately if your account has been compromised. They'll help you regain control of it. Once you do, I suggest checking out the Security Checklist (http://xbox.com/security) to ensure your account security is up to snuff. Thank you!

Sorry this didn't help.