Developer of KoA Financial Problems: All Staff Let Go

Following recent financial problems, reports are indicating that the entire staff of 38 Studios has been laid off.

According to Kotaku, Big Huge Games was shut down by 38 Studios earlier today. Following that news, The Verge reports that 38 has let go its entire staff.

For now these reports are unconfirmed, but we’ve reached out to 38 Studios to try to clarify the situation. In addition to the release of Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning in February, 38 recently revealed its MMO, Project Copernicus.

We’ll continue to update this story as we learn new information.

Source = http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/05/24/report-38-studios-lays-off-entire-staff?utm_campaign=ign+main+twitter&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

Interesting, I thought KoA had sold really well, so where did all that money go to if the company has had to release ALL its staff? 

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 4 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Not to mention the good dlc they churned out. That should give some money.

I'm still waiting on skyrim dlc.

Well its look as though the whole of 38 Studio has been shut down.....Kotaku reports that a source explained how the staff discovered the lady offs:

-

38 Studios just laid off its entire staff, both Providence and BHG studios are being shuttered.

We have not received a paycheck since April 30th.

On May 15th, we found out we were not getting paid when our checks did not hit our accounts.

Our medical insurance runs out tonight at midnight.

We found this out when an employee's pregnant wife was told by her doctor, this was on Tuesday 22nd May this week.

The company has not communicated anything concrete to the team throughout this process, leaving team members to figure out insurance stop-gaps (where people could afford it), etc. on their own.

This is a decent read

TL:DR version: The state of Rhode Island offered them a 75 million dollar taxpayer guaranteed loan if the moved their studio to Rhode Island and they agreed. They used this to help fund KoA and their MMO "Project Copernicus". They needed to sell 3 million copies of KoA to stay financially healthy, it sold 1.2 million and they can't pay off the loan. Should they default on the loan the citizens of Rhode Island will have to pay it off.

shame really, I quite enjoyed what I played of the game.

I will have to go back to it at some point.

38 Studios is owned by former Baseball Pitcher Curt Schilling.

It's like Wayne Rooney, after football, putting his money into a gaming studio.

He loves games and loves RPG's.

Kingdoms of Amalur is a labour of love and a truly ambitious RPG as well as a great game as well.

If they fold it's a great shame but not as great a shame as anyone here who's not actually experienced this great game.

Az

The developers must be the only people who were gutted when Skyrim was announced.

If Skyrim wasn't about it would easily have sold 3 million copies. I'm enjoying what I've played so far, and so will others. Most peoples RPG fix came from Skyrim and Mass Effect 3.

The problem with RPGs is that they take so much time to play, there just isn't room to play lots of different ones.

I still have to finish this, then play Witcher 2 and Dragon's Dogma. But may have to have an RPG break when I finish this game. Max Payne 3 may fit that bill.

I disagree. I also disagree with calling Mass Effect 3 a RPG.

Silly going straight to a MMO as your next game, the fact that was the plan suggests someone down the line wasn't doing a good job when it came to decisions.

[quote user="L1nko64"]

I disagree. I also disagree with calling Mass Effect 3 a RPG.

Silly going straight to a MMO as your next game, the fact that was the plan suggests someone down the line wasn't doing a good job when it came to decisions.

[/quote]

True.  Mass Effect 3 is not an RPG.

It's a third person shooter with very basic RPG elments added to it.  Having a "good, bad" conversation option and a levelling up system doesn't make it a pure RPG. 
It's less of an RPG than ME2 was.

"The Witcher 2" isn't an RPG either but an on rails adventure that does a very good job of aping an RPG with it's menus and levels (until you try to play as anything other than a Witcher).

But I can see where people are coming from if they generalise like with "Mass Effect".

There are very few proper RPG's out there but "Kingdoms Of Amalur" certainly is a great effort.

The scenery is some of the most picturesque I've seen since "Morrowind" which is very high praise indeed.

Az

It's a shame when any business closes, especially one in America as is shown by the pregnant wife, a job means medical gurantee. These are family's who are going to be gratly affected, a lot more than we in the UK can really understand with the lovely benefits we recieve. So it's bad news indeed. As for KoA I haven't had a chance to play it but have planned on picking it up!