Deleting old Gamertag and taking the name

Hi there,

I've had this Gamertag since the early days of Live on the original Xbox. During that time my Xbox broke and I had to recover the gamertag on a new console. However back then the account recovery system was very limited (required original CC number which I forgot), so I was unable to recover the Gamertag until the 360 launched with a much better recovery system.

During the couple months of not having access to my original gamertag, I set up a temporary Gamertag.

I'm now back on my original Gamertag and haven't use the temporary Gamertag in over 5 years.

Is there anyway to delete that Gamertag account so I can name change this account to its name?

Hopefuly that wasn't too confusing.

Regards,

Zaf

Question Info

Last updated October 18, 2018 Views 544 Applies to:

Hi there.

Basically you want to use the profile name you assigned to the temporary account, for your original account you're using now.

Ok. Yes, this can be done, however it requires 1600msp split between the two accounts (so 800 each). The only way to aquire that name for your original account is to change it, this in turn "frees" it and will allow it to be used again on a new or existing account.

So step one is to sign onto the "temporary" account and change the gamertag, which will free the name. Step two is to then sign into your original/current profile and again change the gamertag. Be aware that once you free the gamertag it may take a while before you can re-assign it, so be patient.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hey,

Thanks for the reply - that is exactly what I want to do. I did think of something along the lines of what you suggested, however I was hoping it was possible to just nuke the old temporary account because it hasn't been used in years. Plus there's the additional hassle of recovering the account, attaching a credit card, buying 800 points, wait period etc.

I remember a while back MajorNelson mentioned that Microsoft will be deleting old Gamertags that haven't been used in a while. Are they still doing this? Is it possible to 'nominate' a Gamertag for deletion?

Also, I fear that recovering the old account will make it illegible for deletion.

Thanks again,

Zaf

Sorry this didn't help.

Unfortunately there is no way to completely delete an account. Microsoft have not release any official information regarding when/if deleting old non-used gamertags will happen.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello, I was wondering the same thing. Would it be possible to help me out to delete my old account that hasnt been used since xbox 1 days so i can re-use the name?

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="l ZoSo"]

Hello, I was wondering the same thing. Would it be possible to help me out to delete my old account that hasnt been used since xbox 1 days so i can re-use the name?

[/quote]

As it has already been said, you cannot delete an account. You will have to change the gamertag twice, one to free it up and the second time to actual take it.

Sorry this didn't help.

is there anyway to recover the old gamertag? its from the original xbox and it requires the credit card number (which is long gone).

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry this didn't help.

'fraid not, not until it reappears as available.

Sorry this didn't help.