Delete an old gamer profile?

I'm sure this has been asked a hundred times but I can't find anything useful in searches. I had an old gamer profile (this one I'm using to type in this forum) and I did not connect my X-Box to the internet for a long time. For some reason, at some point my profile on my X-Box disappeared so I just created a new one, not thinking there would be such infernal complications with doing so.

Now I need to connect to live but it won't let me associate my email and sign up for my new account because the old one still exists. I can't use the old account because all my new games require my new account in order to continue. I'm not going to make a new email account because I use this one and I'm not going to switch because of a stupid quirk in X-Box.

So how do I delete the old account to free up the email address to use on my new account?

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

Account.live.com

Close account

It's at the bottom of the page.  You may be required to wait before setting up a new Microsoft Account using the same e-mail.  If your account is using a Microsoft e-mail (Hotmail, Outlook or Live) then that will close the e-mail as well.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

So my email is an @live email account. It's my main account. I use it everyday. So deleting an X-Box association will delete my email as well?

I guess I should have expected as much from Microsoft. This is exactly why I'm going to PS4 and will never look back. I already gave up Windows computers years ago so I guess this should just be the next logical step.

Thanks for the info, though. I know it's not your fault Microsoft is a complete tool bag.

Sorry this didn't help.

lol.  It's not Microsoft's fault that you changed gamertags.  You can move this account off of the Microsoft Account to another one.  Create the new one at signup.live.com, then go to Settings -> Account -> Account Security on this gamertag and select Change Microsoft Account.  Then this MSA will be free.

IIRC on PSN you can't change the e-mail attached to an account period.

Sorry this didn't help.

Idk about PS4 but I can on PS3. I would assume PSN is the same regardless of version, though.

Thanks for the info. I will do this.

However, even though it's not their fault I changed gamertags (by accident, mind you I'm not a professional gamer and don't know these things) it is their fault that their process is so convoluted and in the end, doesn't make sense.

Let me give you an example. From what you've said:

1) I'm going to create a new Microsoft Account

2) I'm going to associate this gamer tag to this new Microsoft Account

3) I will associate my new gamertag to the old account

Ok. But now, there is an email address and account out there that will NEVER be used. We can say virtual space is unlimited, but this really doesn't make sense. This gamertag will now sit, unused for eternity and so will this new fake Microsoft Account. How does that make more sense then say:

1) Visit your account page and click "Manage Accounts"

2) Choose your X-Box gamertag

3) Click "Delete this Gamertag" and accept warning "Warning, this will delete all games, achievements, etc associated with this account. There is no reverse."

Now, no one has to worry ever about something like this. Ever again. Period. We can defend MS all day long, but it's processes like this that make people want to leave. I just had to tell my child he couldn't keep all his achievements and profile for his offline account after determining it's absolutely impossible to link an offline child's account with X-Box Live. You MUST create a new account online and that get's rid of your old offline account. Sucks but on PSN he won't have to worry about it.

Once he's done with Minecraft, that's where we'll be from now on. His enjoyment for Minecraft is the single reason I didn't just go out and get him a PS4 tonight instead of dealing with all this nonsense.

But thanks for the info. Sorry for ranting on you like that.

Sorry this didn't help.

he doesnt have to lose his gaming achievements. I was playing Skyrim for 2 years before I bothered to get an xbox live account and my whole game and everything went with me when I joined. You use the same profile he was playing on, use it to sign up for xbox live. They will give you a random name which you can change once the process is complete. and you can keep your stuff.. You should have asked someone who knows instead of just plodding through it yourself.  if its a problem with being a childs account then simply change it and then change it back later.

----mind you I'm not a professional gamer and don't know these things) it is their fault that their process is so convoluted and in the end, doesn't make sense.-----

you seem to be an impatient person. please keep in mind that we cannot idiot proof everything for your convenience. The reason that windows is starting to suck now is because of people like you. They have simplified it to the point that I dont like to use it anymore. They are trying to help the braindead. Its YOUR OWN fault that you cant figure it out. Perhaps they should use cartoon graphics to make you feel more comfortable.

Sorry this didn't help.

@Xheya

I may be impatient but you seem to be an idiot. Do you not see where we're all talking about child accounts? A subaccount in this manner works differently than a regular account you're talking about. You're probably 14 years old so I won't hold it against you but in the future you should learn to read before you start talking about "braindead" people. It will help you seem less, "braindead." If you don't understand what I mean, perhaps I could draw up some cartoons for you to help.

Sorry this didn't help.