Delay between my Xbox 360 and TV.

I have an Xbox 360, second generation, and I just bought a new TV. it is the same size as my old one, but the new TV now runs HDMI. I use HDMI for audio and Video, but there is a slight delay between the Xbox and TV. When I press a button there is a small delay, maybe only a few milliseconds, but It dulls my reflexes and makes me overturn. this makes on-line gaming nearly impossible. What is the cause of this?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 2,067 Applies to:

Hi NothinbutNIC,   Many HDTV's have an image enhancing technology that has a slight delay. Check to see if your tv has a "Game Mode"  Or disable anything that says TruMotion or DCM that would disable such tech Or disable anything that says TruMotion or DCM and you should be fine.  

Also, check to see the response time of your TV.  8ms or less and you should notice no lag.

Hopefully this helps you fix your problem, Let us know if it does or not.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi there! Have you tested to see if the HDMI is the cause of the latency or just the TV? Try hooking up your XBOX by component or composite and see if the latency still occurs. Often, when the HDMI is introduced, there is a slight latency that is noticeable not only video wise, but audio wise as well.

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="NothinbutNIC"]it is the same size as my old one, but the new TV now runs HDMI.[/quote]Versus what on the old TV?

What model is the old TV? What model is the new TV?[quote]there is a small delay, maybe only a few milliseconds,[/quote]No, you cannot tell the difference betweew "a few milliseconds". TVs typically introduce 20-30 ms of latency. Two or three you won't notice.[quote]What is the cause of this?[/quote]Either it's a TV that introduces latency in the signal path by design (there are some that do processing no matter what and you can't turn it off) or you have motion compensation enabled on the TV somewhere.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hmm well another thing to try is to make sure that your xbox is putting out the same resolution that your tv's resolution is.  This can induce some input lag if say your xbox is putting out a 720p signal but your tv is displaying at 1080p as your tv will try to upconvert the signal. As to your question, Typically no, though I would not completely rule something out like that. So try that and if that doesn't work either can you give me the model number of your tv will help me familiarize myself with specific settings and menus of your tv

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there, SoulYew365! This thread is a bit old. If you could, please post up a new thread detailing what you're running into and troubleshooting you've already completed. This way we can get you the individual support that works best on the forums. :)

Sorry this didn't help.

None of your suggestions helped. I mostly play halo 4, and my ability to track objects with my sights is greatly reduced because of this issue. My TV is an Insignia, and it is a plasma television so my response time is very short. yet when I play any game, I feel a delay between what I do on the controller, and what happens on my television. Could it be an issue using the older Xbox with the newer TV?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have a delay between my xbox and my tv also so whenever i play CoD, i suck at it. I have terrible reaction time and my friends make fun of me. I just want the delay gone so i can prove to them im actually a good CoD player. Plz help guys!!! Thx!

Sorry this didn't help.