Dead Space or Dead space 2?

Hi all, Im currently at work and have asked a few of my colleagues as to which they prefer out of Dead space 1 or dead space 2 and its fair to say opinion is split right in the middle with some saying one is more jumpy and scary as its alot more enclosed...while others suggest 2 has alot more action and this wins it for them.So this leads me to ask which one do you prefer and why?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 5 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Both ;)

the first one purely for the fact that it had me hooked from the get go. Had a quick go on number two (hehe) but haven't been back to it

Dead Space 1, the second i couldnt even bring myself to finish.

Only played the first so I have to go with that. I don't really like the stuff I've seen of 2 and 3. Looks very cowadoody.

Great to hear all this positive feed back on 2 when its on the way to my house as we speak :) ;)

Dead Space 2 is still a good game, I would start off with Dead Space 1 for the story though, play it at night with your headphones on and the lights off, the audio on both games is incredible. Even better on surround sound! To me Dead Space 2 seemed shorter than the first one, but I would recommend both.

Both are great but I thought that dead space 2 was a slight improvement from the first.

Dead Space 1

It is possibly one of the greatest single player experiences I have had. Graphically it was beautiful for it's year, the amber, rust like colours really set the tone and atmosphere of the game. This was then enhanced upon by the amazing use of sound.

It had amazing gameplay to which really fitted well with the Third Person nature of the game. The Plasma Cutter remains to be one of the best weapons, in any title, up there with Bayonetta's Shoes and The Buster Sword from FF7.

Similarly, something number two didn't do was bring the atmospheric tension from DS1. They used the same predicatable scares that only work in one play through and removed the isolated feel of the USG Ishimura. The colour scheme was replaces by a Blue, more space like feel. This removed the graphical atmosphere the first built up.

I also felt the narration was a lot more intergral in the first. The few living characters on the ship made the story rely on the information from the few characters there were - whom you rarely saw in person. Once again isolation is key.

DS1 feels a lot more like Ridley Scotts Alien. Rather than making it a story driven by gun running (which at times may appear), it is rather driven by fear. At times you may find yourself walking a corridoor expecting a Necromorph, and even though one doesn't appear, it is the fear based expectation that drives the game. I feel the same is not replicated in two.

IN ALL; DS1 is a better game that really made use of sound and graphics to drive a great horror narrative.

[quote user="Mexicola1984"]

Dead Space 1, the second i couldnt even bring myself to finish.

[/quote]
Same here.

Dead Space 1 for me. Couldn't stop playing till I'd finished it. Just bought it again for my PC for £4.