Dead Space 3 - EA think it's been too scary for you - "Hello (15) rating" Ker-ching !

In a move to 'appeal to a wider audience' it appears that EA now think it's all been a bit scary for us.

They've had feedback saying that although people loved the 'thriller game'...( I always thought it was a survival-horror but what do I know? ).....they found it too scary and wanted a co-op experience.

Unfortunately this all sounds like the Dead Space of old is going to undergo a PEGI (15) multi-player overhaul and potentially tarnish a first class, mature rated, single-player scare-a-thon.

Anyone else slightly less enthusiatic for part 3 ?

Story:

'Dead Space' and sequel were too scary, says EA
Published Friday, Jul 20 2012, 15:53 BST | By Liam Martin |13 comments

Dead Space and its sequel were too scary, Electronic Arts has suggested.

Explaining the shift towards co-operative multiplayer in upcoming sequel Dead Space 3, EA marketing boss Laura Miele told MCV that people would feel more comfortable playing with a companion.

© EA

"We were doing research coming out of Dead Space 1 and 2 and we're really proud of those products. We received feedback to understand how we can take the game out to even more consumers," explained Miele.

"We were hearing feedback that they love the thriller game, but it was pretty scary, and the obvious next step was that they wanted to play with someone. So we introduced co-op into the game.

"The horror of Dead Space is still all there. It's still true to its roots and no less scary, but people felt far more comfortable playing it with someone else than they did doing it on their own.

"Personally, I would rather go to a scary movie with my husband rather than sit at home with the lights out watching one on my own.

"We're looking for that to reach out to consumers that perhaps were not open to Dead Space 1 and 2."

The comments mirror those of EA's Frank Gibeau, who said that the franchise must appeal to a broader audience.

Officially announced at this year's E3 Gaming Expo, Dead Space 3 will take place on a frozen planet and features a new character named John Carver.

The game will feature drop-in, drop-out co-operative play using the new character.

The entire game can also be played alone without an AI-controlled partner, with different cutscenes and dialogue involved.

The game will launch for the Xbox 360, PS3 and PC in February next year.

Link to DigitalSpy article.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 14 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I loved Dead Space 1, i think i finished it 6 maybe 7 times overall, outstanding game. Couldn't wait for Dead Space 2, i hated it, never finished it and so far everything they have said about Dead Space 3 means i wont even consider it

You've never finished DS2? pfft.

I found EA saying dead space 1 & 2 have been too scary pretty ridiculous. One of the main reasons I bought dead space was for some scares, erm hello EA I think that's what most fans want. Sure they are more Survival horror action games, that's what they are good at being, not just an action game like EA want to produce for no3.

I don't understand why they do this. They plan on selling 5 million copies of this game, but all they're likely to do is alienate most of the fans of the original game and completely fail at attracting the attention of the CoD/Gears crowd. Just look at what happened with Ninja Gaiden 3. Team Ninja made the game easier to appeal to a broader audience, yet the game sold significantly worse than any other NG title to date.

I don't agree with it either but I'm sure it'll be a decent enough game even without an 18 certificate. Sure DS1 was a lot more scary than 2... but only eejits boycott a perfectly good game like DS2.  Can't wait for 3.

Well to be fair... I've played "Dead Space" and "Dead Space 2" so why would I want to do it all again in "Dead Space 3"?

I don't mind them innovating and making something new as long as it's a quality product that is value for money.

If they can do this then it's a good thing.

Who needs "Dead Space 2.5"?

Az

I've said in other threads that from what I've seen of Dead Space 3 it seems to have moved away from what made previous games so good, even more so now reading this, maybe it shouldn't even be called Dead Space anymore!

This definately won't be a day one buy, going to wait for some gamers thoughts on it!

There's a difference between a boycott and just not picking a game up because it doesn't interest you. I'm with Az in that I don't think that Dead Space was the kind of game that ever needed a sequel. It was a great stand-alone experience and while I'm annoyed at EA doing stupid things with the series, it's not likely that I'd have bought the game either way. The universe the games are set in is simply not as interesting as the Ishumura space ship itself.

Yes but the Ishimura had a very vanilla Doom like setting... almost a carbon copy actually. The sprawl was a much more interesting and varied place, but still very creepy.

Wasn't scary enough for me, this news makes me sad. Condemned is still the most scariest game on the 360.