Dead gamertags

I have been wanting a certain gamertag that hasn't been used in years and I was wanting to know if I could get it released. Major Nelson said a while back that they would start being recycled after a certain time of not being active. The chat support said that I need to speak with a admin on the forums on getting it released.

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 3 Applies to:

There's no real process for getting old gamertags released.  Those gamertags belong to someone, regardless of whether they're being used for Xbox or not.  And just because they're not being used for Xbox doesn't mean they're not being used period.  There used to be a program where old gamertags that for sure weren't being used were being recycled, but then, as I understand it, people started snatching them up and selling them, which is against the Terms of Use, so the program was retired.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Well This one in particular I know for sure isn't and hasn't been used since the first gen xbox.

Sorry this didn't help.

Its not an ondemand service the name will be free when its free just be more creative with your spelling

Sorry this didn't help.

An ambassador should be able to look up the GT and see when the last time it was in use. And if it's no longer being used they should release it. Therefore bringing in the extra income to MS for people changing their gamertags.

Sorry this didn't help.

Nope sorry buddy...these names are in an account. People may unsubscribe and cancel accounts but that gamertag is still theres.

Sorry this didn't help.

How do I talk to an ambassador direct?

Sorry this didn't help.

As an ambassador, I can assure you it's not within our power to pry someone's gamertag (dusty and unused as it may be) from their account to give to someone else (or even the same person on another account).  Those things are inextricably tied unless the account that holds it releases it by changing their gamertag.  And even then, I'm not even sure how long a gamertag remains in the system before it becomes available again.

Sorry this didn't help.

HarryPlopperXXL,

Gamertags are not solely used for Xbox Live. They are also used for Zune and Windows Games accounts. Some of these accounts are strictly used for those services so they will appear as silver accounts with 0 gamerscore but it does not mean they are inactive. Microsoft will on occasion purge inactive gamertags but since they are not an on-demand service this is very rare. As Klokkwork stated, Ambassadors have no power over gamertags. We are merely volunteers willing to spend our free time to assist other users with their problems. When you notice a user with a level of "S", this is an official Microsoft Support person who can assist much more than Ambassadors. If you still wish, you can speak with Microsoft Phone Support but you will likely here the same things that have already been posted here.  Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns. Thank you,

Sorry this didn't help.