Day One Console - Burnt Out? Help needed!

My Day1 console has just gone off. I powered it up after leaving it off for around 20 hours like usual and it there was nothing? I swapped the plug fuse then a 2nd console cable and power adaptor (got 2 consoles on day one release). I tried the 2nd power cable in and the orange light went out. After trying various others things I pinned it down to the console. After a while of letting it cool down I powered it up to try & release the game that was in the drive. There was a crackling noise coming from the back right of the console then a strong smell of burning so I immediately unplugged everything in case there was a fire.

After half an hour I powered it up again carefully in the open and the drive released the disc on request so I smelt for smoke and all seemed well. I poked around the dashboard and then I put the game back in and began to play but after around half an hour the console cut out and now won't power on properly? It powers on then cuts straight back off again. The power adaptor is fine, it seems like the console is over heating or has hardware failure :(

It was bought from a catalogue in the UK who I've informed so do I return it to them or to M$? I need to know so I can get the issue resolved asap.

tia

Andy

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 548 Applies to:

As long as you follow the steps listed here support.xbox.com/.../console-wont-power-on

and you determine that it is a hardware failure then the next step i would do is get it serviced here:

support.xbox.com/.../repair-process

I'm pretty sure (not 100%) that regardless who you bought your Xbox one from as long as you register the device on the repair web site you yourself and its still under warranty (which it most likely is) then they should repair it for free.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

After our 3rd call to the UK catalogue company requesting assistance and decisions they finally told us to go to m$ and get the repair done with a ref # they gave us. After an hour on the phone speaking to somebody in India from m$ my wife ended up tearful and frustrated as they wouldn't accept our cards for some weird reason? (2 of the cards are registered to my m$ account!

We rang the bank to see if it was a security issue (pain in the *** but necessary) and the arrogant pleb on the other end was so awkward we ended up being locked out of the account!

I'm now so frustrated that I'm going to return the XBOX to the catalogue and ask for a refund! I'm not going through this crap again 'cos I can only assume after reading all the posts in here that it'll happen again...

Sorry this didn't help.

the OP says he swapped a fuse in the plug. if he did that in in the power brick, which DOES have a fuse in it, then he probably blew the warranty on it. also, if you plug your xbox one's power brick into a surge protector, you likely WILL blow it. the xbox one's power brick was not designed to be plugged into a surge protector, just the normal wall outlet

Sorry this didn't help.

The OP is a professional computer technician with a fuse tester and volt meter to hand. He also has a 2nd XBOX one as explained and tried both power adaptors in his diagnosis (after checking the fuse which was okay). His diagnosis is that the XBOX one power unit inside the console that controls the voltage to the mainboard is not up to the job. The power adaptor has it's own voltage dropper and would blow prior to the console if there was a surge or any voltage issue.

We've just rang the bank back and can confirm that the card issue was due to microsoft trying to take £391 out of the account so was refused (thanfully). Due to this issue we're now going to return the console back to the retailer and let them deal with it and I hope anyone reading this dows the same ;)

Sorry this didn't help.

Just found the manual eject pin hole about 1/2" beneath the USB port to the left side of the console and got my Ghosts disc out YEEEEHA!

For anyone looking, there's an orange bit behind the grill, you'll need a paper clip straightened out to about 2" long :)

Sorry this didn't help.