Data transfer from one Xbox Slim to another Xbox Slim

So I currently own the Halo Reach slim 360 console, and I am going to purchase the Gears Of War 3 console this Monday night.  Now I was wondering if there is a way to transfer all my data from my 250 gig to the new 320 gig hard drive.  The current transfer cable is obviously not meant for the slim hard drives, and I had heard that there is going to be a slim to slim data transfer cable.  Is it possible to transfer all my data from my 250 gig hard driveto my old 120 gig hard drive from my old Elite, and then transfer it again to the new console?  I remember hearing about not being able to transfer from a larger hard drive to a smaller one but I don't know if that is still true.  Any help or info would greatly be appreciated.  Also, if anyone has any info on the slim data transfer kit, feel free to let me in on it.  Thanks in advance!

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 5 Applies to:

[quote user="SpraykwoN"]I had heard that there is going to be a slim to slim data transfer cable[/quote]That's what Graeme Boyd tweeted (EMEA's Major Nelson) has said.[quote]Is it possible to transfer all my data from my 250 gig hard driveto my old 120 gig hard drive from my old Elite,[/quote]Yes. Cancel all the dialogs when you attach the old 120GB HDD to the console using the official transfer cable. After that, go back into System Settings, Memory, and manually copy/move all the stuff you want from the 250GB HDD to the Transfer Cable device (120GB HDD).[quote]I remember hearing about not being able to transfer from a larger hard drive to a smaller one but I don't know if that is still true[/quote]You can't as part of an automated transfer, but if you cancel the dialogs you can treat it as just another storage device.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Nice.  I will have to try this.  Also, is there any info on a release date for that cable?  I would imagine with that new drive hitting stores on Monday, it has to be fairly soon right?

Sorry this didn't help.

Graeme's tweet said GameStop and GAME will have it on the 20th, other retailers later.

I haven't seen any comments about a 320GB HDD being offered separately at this time. The GOW3 console should arrive in stores on the 20th, which would be Tuesday.

Sorry this didn't help.

I will have to check on Monday when I pick up my copy of the game if they have that transfer cable or not.  Not to mention, I have to stop at Best Buy to pick up the console.  Thanks for all of the info.  It has been greatly appreciated.

Sorry this didn't help.

Handy piece of info here,  never thought about doing it that way  

Sorry this didn't help.