data lost (unreadable) from usb flash drive

My son placed a 16gb flash in the usb port of the 360 and formatted per the prompts, transferred almost all of his data and now the flash drive isn't recognized by the xbox.  Unfortunately...he already deleted the data from the console $#@!.  The flash is almost completely full.  I saw a hint regarding setting the properties to the non default option, doesn't help.  Tried rebooting with the flash in the port, doesn't help.

Any ideas?

Question Info

Last updated October 31, 2018 Views 142 Applies to:

Is the flash drive an Xbox compatible one? Xbox 360 Storage | Xbox 360 Hard Drive | Xbox 360 Flash Drive

Unfortunately if the data is no longer on the flash drive it is gone. Do not plug the flash drive into a PC as that will render it unusable on the console until you format it again for the console to read it. Before you do anything else with it, have you tried plugging it into another console to see if his data shows up on that? If not that would be one thing to try.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I assume it is compatible as it was formatted by the console and allowed the transfer of all his data???  The drive wasn't removed from the console while his sister played a game, the console was turned off, later when turned on, the console read that the drive needed formatting.  This was a brand new, empty drive going in, and currently shows as almost full.  We have since verified that there are files on the drive by placing the drive in a pc (no warning anywhere not to place flash-drive into a pc) but the files are "gibberish." In fact I think I read a post that you can select a certain amount of space to be dedicated to the xbox so as to use the remainder for pc files.  It seems unlikely that placing the drive in a pc would render the drive useless???

Sorry this didn't help.

Here is a support article on USB Flash Drives and the console:

I'm having trouble with my USB storage device

Sorry this didn't help.

The same thing happened to me last night. Fortunately, my most important saves were alive, but on other transfers, I lost large amounts of DLC and some old save games. The USB stick was also brand now, formatted correctly and readable in the XBOX. When I moved it to the other XBOX, NOTHING. Put it back in the original XBOX, it prompts me to format it for use in an XBOX. Something is wrong here somewhere....

Sorry this didn't help.

Are you putting the USB stick into the console before powering it on? Some brands, such as PNY, seem to go as you describe when that happens, so it is best to always plug the USB stick in after the console has started up.

Sorry this didn't help.

By default, the system reserves 512 MB for system use.  Upon formatting the drive, you will have two options, "Configure Now" and "Customize".  

"Configure now" will automatically reserve 512 MB of space for system use plus the remainder of space left on the drive (up to 16GB) for Xbox 360 storage.  

With the "Customize" option, you can choose exactly how much space you want to use for Xbox 360 storage (up to 16GB).  

I would recommend formatting the flash drive with the Windows FAT32 file system.  Macintosh or Linux formats will not work.  Then just stick the drive back into your console, format per instructions, but this time choose "Customize" if your son plans on transferring data such as music/pictures.    

Good luck and happy gaming!

Sorry this didn't help.

I had the exact same problem. I have been using an HP flash drive and it was great, until recently. Ive bought 2 other drives and formatted them all properly, and it will work for a day or 2, but when i plug it in to one of my other consoles, its all gone.

A real solution would be great, since you guys made the old hard drives incompatable with the new systems. Thanks for the RROD too for every console I've owned.

Sorry this didn't help.

Is the xbox capable of your flash drive type?

If not then this could be an issue.

If this has worked in the past then you may of ejected the flash drive to soon whilst data is still been submitted to and/or from the flash drive.

You can clear all data from your flash drive via your computer.

On your computer load up the flash drive, there should be no files there,

If this is the case on 'My Computer'/'Computer' (Depending on the version) right-click your flash drive and click 'Format' from here it will clear the flash drive and will be usable again for computer usage.

Hope this help,

Brad.

Sorry this didn't help.

voteDC is right. I had this exact problem and tried his solution and it was a quick and easy way to save the day.

Unplug it and plug it back in. Apparently it doesn't like turning on with the USB already in.

Sorry this didn't help.