Damn RROD, Anyone know how to fix?

Tried playing my xbox today for a little while and all of a sudden after it freezes up on me and after turning it off I get an RROD. This is not the first time I have gotten it but this is the first time where it has had it for the longest period of time. There are only three red lights and not four so at the moment I'm trying to find a way to sort this little problem out. I have only had my xbox for four years and this will be the second year where I have had a RROD. So if anyone has any tips on how to sort this little problem out them I would really appreciate it.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

Buy a new xbox or send it in for repair and pay MS to fix it up. Nothing more you can do because then you are starting to tamper with the console and it's against the MS rules to ask how to do that on this forum.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

either way its expensive but I just might end up getting a new console just have no clue as to how long that will take, either way I will be without an xbox for a decent amount of time not sure if I can handle not having one for more then close to two months though

Sorry this didn't help.

Ok well after unplugging everything and letting it cool down for a decent amount of time it has started working again, I popped my intercooler back onto it since originally I had it off for a few months so I hope it will continue to work properly without the RROD. So after trying to rush down to the shops to get a new one only to find they had none in stock, still might need a new one see how it goes.

Sorry this didn't help.

I've heard bad things about intercoolers actually stuffing up the 360 since they get their power from the 360 and not externally making the 360 work harder. Is your 360 in a poor venterlated area? Personally I'd never bother with an intercooler and I've played on my 360 for longer than 5 hours straight quite a few times.

Letting it cool down can help it out I guess but more than likely your system will RROD again..I'd start saving your $ for a newer console.

Sorry this didn't help.

it could be not to sure, I never keep it in a tv unit, I always keep it  on its base instead of it side but I have had less problems with an intercooler on it then what I have had without one so I have no clue really. Last time it did that to me was before I had the intercooler about the same year I brought it while I was playing halo 3, at the time I wasn't sure if it was the game or the console.

Sorry this didn't help.

Damn RROD, Anyone know how to fix?

Yep, 1 stick of dynamite and a match.

Those intecoolers are more a gimmick than anything else, probably coincidence that it over heated without it on. 3 rings is usually a connection error if I am not mistaken. I have had that happen to mine too.

Sorry this didn't help.

yeah I looked it up and that was one of the things I came across that it was either a connection error or there was something wrong inside it, first thing I thought it was, was a connection error but then after unpligging it the first time and letting it sit for about an hour when that didn't work I thought it might have been internal but its working now so I have no clue what the actual cause was but as long as its working fine now I don't care, it hardly gets used anymore and I don't want that to happen again for a long time to come.

Sorry this didn't help.

RROD indicates a general hardware failure. It can be anything from overheating, to a faulty video card, or onboard ram. The 360 had an overheat failure, where some chips would come loose from the motherboard and would often settle back in, once the machine cooled.

The thing with RROD is: If it's happened once, it'll certainly happen again. It may right itself a couple times, but eventually it'll fail permanently.

Sorry this didn't help.