Dad needs help: Can I switch the "master" account from one Gamertag to another?

Hello, everyone!  Long-time Xboxer, first time poster...

So here's the story.  Way, way back in the day, I joined Xbox Live as a Gold level member.  12 years ago, my son Sean was born, and before I knew it, he was taking after his old man and turning into a young but avid gamer.  I created a second profile (free, non-Gold level) for him so he could save his games and not use my Gold level profile.

As Sean aged, he discovered the fun of online gaming, and since my profile was Gold, I'd let him play under my account.

Now he's 12, and of the nearly two dozen friends on my friends list, all but 2 of them are HIS friends.  In other words, what used to be Dad's account is now pretty much Sean's account.  He has a lot of game progress and saves associated with my account as a result.

This Christmas, Sean will be getting his own TV and Xbox 360 for his bedroom, something he's dearly wanted for quite a while.  Yeah, he's going to be over the moon.

So here's what I'd like to do:  I plan to relinquish control of my Gold account to Sean, letting him rename it and make it his own.  I'm going to take over his original, non-Gold level profile (and, alas, the one with the much lower Gamerscore!) and add Gold level to it so we can both game online.  But as I'm still Dad and payer of the accounts, I'd really like to make Sean's old account become the new master account.

Unfortunately, I don't know if this is even possible.  If it is, how do I go about it?  And if it's not, what would be your best recommendation for how to proceed?  The key thing is not to lose any of the progress and saves with my original Gold account, nor do I want to lose any licenses from Xbox Live Arcade products I've purchased.

Thanks everyone, and a Merry Christmas / Happy Holidays to you and yours.

Dave

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 218 Applies to:

Do you mean "master account" as in parental account? If so there is no way to do that. Since what is now his account would already be an adult account, there would be no way to switch it.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

what u can do is, u can upgrade his sliver account to gold that way he has own gold while u keep your account.

Sorry this didn't help.

i do know what u are trying to do i would say call xbox they my be apply to do what u what with all your info

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks everyone!

Sorry this didn't help.