Current gen vs next gen games

Is there any benefit of buying a game on a next gen console if its releasing on the current gen too? My logic would think that because of hardware/ software issues if it wouldn't be any better on a next gen console. Wouldn't quality of a game be determined by the lowest common denominator aka current gen? Or am missing something? Thoughts?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 8 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Well I mean, for example GTA V. My guess is it will probably run a little less smoother and maybe look a little worse. Due to the fact that the Xbox one is getting more RAM, better processor, better graphics card, etc. I imagine it as like a PC game where everything is set to a max, and the max is probably what the xbox one can hit, since the 360 can't, it will be a little less smooth and whatnot, but definitely still playable, just a tiny down-grade.

I don't know if I'm correct, its just my guess.

There will be obvious differences or will there ? There's going to be a lot of gamers who won't jump ship straight away and it's all about selling games. GTA will outsell on current gen better then next gen, it's obvious.  Maybe in time you start to see big differences but not straight away.

[quote user="JayLaggy"]Is there any benefit of buying a game on a next gen console if its releasing on the current gen too?[/quote]Yes.[quote]My logic would think that because of hardware/ software issues if it wouldn't be any better on a next gen console.[/quote]Both next gen consoles are custom PCs. PCs have been running at 1080p for a while. Even if they're just treated as PCs to start with, they'll be better than existing consoles.[quote]Wouldn't quality of a game be determined by the lowest common denominator aka current gen? Or am missing something?[/quote]You're missing the PC factor. The PC version of multiplatform titles today already receive higher resolution textures, at a minimum. That will carry over to Xbox One and PS4 right from the get-go.

The downside to buying on a next gen console is that, for multiplayer, there will be few people to play with.

Games releasing on both the current & next-gen consoles will be better on the latter. A good example of this is Battlefield 4; with next-gen, not only will it look better & run smoother (@ 60fps), but it will allow for bigger maps & 64 players instead of 32. There's all the difference you need to get your answer.

GTA V is not releasing on PS4 or Xbox One.

There will be plenty of people playing multiplayer on the new consoles due to the fact that they will sell millions of consoles and there are only a handful of games to play on them.

the games will be completely different on next gen and current gen, they are basically 2 different versions of the game, eventually they will drop Xbox 360 and PS3 probably in about 2018.. and will go with Xbox One PS4 & PC

Oh wow... All good info. That makes more sense now, frame rates, cleaner graphics, etc etc, even if its the same game. I also didn't realize bf4 is only 16vs16 on 360. I thought they were both 32vs32. I wonder how many ppl are waiting to buy a next gen console because why bother buying watchdogs on a next gen, if I can get the same game on my current gen and save $500.

Bf4 on 360 will be 12v12 like it was on bf3 not 16v16

[quote user="RippenHarra"]

Bf4 on 360 will be 12v12 like it was on bf3 not 16v16

[/quote]

Maybe so, but that only further proves my point. ;)

BF4's difference will probably be one of the more extreme but if you're getting a next-gen console at launch, you should get the next-gen version. Even if you don't get the console at launch or if the next-gen consoles come out after a game's current-gen release (like BF4), it may be worth waiting for the next-gen version.