Cross-platform functionality in Canada

Can't find a forum on the WP7 or the Zune websites, so sorry to post this here. Figured it would be ok, since various Microsoft departments must communicate with each other quite well right?

Bought a WP7 phone recently. Have two 360 consoles, and 3 PC's running Windows 7. 

Was really looking forward to the standardization of media across all platforms. 

Then I found out a couple things. 

1. No Zune Pass in Canada. 

2. Zune is incapable of searching for, and subscribing to podcasts through it's marketplace in Canada. 

3. No ability to update podcasts wirelessly on the road through Zune,.

What!?

How can something iTunes has been doing for years simply not be possible through Zune across an entire country?

This, for me, is the core functionality of the entire platform. 

I can understand why the Zune Pass may be on hold. I know Microsoft doesn't have total control over all the silly copyright issues at play, and that it takes some time to sort out. (though Netflix seemed to get it all squared away.)

But the lack of podcast functionality is beyond comprehension. I have been able to manually enter RSS feeds to subscribe to podcasts that way, but there's far lighter freeware programs out there that would do that. I was looking forward to the browsing features of iTunes, and the social aspects of Zune. None of that is available, and I'm very quickly running out of patience. 

I resisted moving to an iPhone, while all my friends did. I also resisted adopting the Android platform, which was very attractive as I use a lot of Google's apps. Instead, I limped along with my Windows Mobile 6 phone for two years after my contract expired, because I was so certain WP7 would integrate so well with every other piece of Microsoft hardware in my house. I even held on a bit longer after the WP7 launch, thinking that, "these guys will get the functionality worked out... it's just a matter of months."

No such luck. It looks like all the warnings of my friends are beginning to come true. My questions to a Zune support staff resulted only in the answer: "We have no information on any of this."

It's really unfortunate. It's doubtful there are more loyal Microsoft customers out there than me. But even my patience have their limits. I have a few months remaining on my Xbox Live subscription, and if the three items above aren't remedied by the time it expires, I'll feel like I gave WP7 and Zune the best chance that could be expected. I'll exercise the ability in my carrier contract to swap my WP7 out mid-term for another platform. I won't renew my Xbox Live subscription, and I'll start investing in another platform entirely. 

Haven't really felt this way since Sega released the 32X, Saturn and Dreamcast within months of each other, without any thought to how these devices would work together. 

Really hope you guys can pull the platform off, and make it a success. It really does have so much potential, with cross-platform functionality at it's core. 

Consumers, of course, can only be expected to endure so much. 

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Zune just plain sucks. Your better off getting an Ipod or an Archos.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Zunes are pretty great actually. Don't know why you think they suck.

Sorry this didn't help.

netflix did not get it figured out, they launched with a limited selection in canada.

Sorry this didn't help.

>> Mr. Switch

Agreed... I think Zune's have an amazing amount of potential.

If you live in Canada, for some inexplicable reason, they're fatally hobbled.

That you still cannot, within Zune Marketplace, search for a podcast and subscribe to it, is inexcusable to me.

Sorry this didn't help.

>> Animal Assassin

True true.

For now, I'd settle even for a limited selection on a Zunepass. To date, nothing is available. Period.

What's the delay? Rdio has a music subscription service available in Canada, and a lot of my friends are riding me to join it. My only holdout has been that "the Zunepass is coming!"

Except it's not.

Sorry this didn't help.

I really enjoy WP7... it's got some great games for the platform (try ilomilo and Fruit Ninja to name just a couple) and I like it's limited (but going to expand with the Mango update in Aug/Sep) Xbox Live integration. Also, it's a great media player... it can play divx/xvid/avi/mp4 etc file types without the need to re-encode them... stick with it a little more, and play around with this great little toy of yours before you give up on it. I think you'll change your opinion if you just give it a chance to impress you.

Sorry this didn't help.

Cheers for the response "TheLastKamikaze"

I have played the games you referenced. They're great. My gripe is certainly not with the quality of games on the platform.

Do you live in Canada?

Just wondering if your WP7 is as hobbled as mine is.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Archestratus, I certainly do live in Canada... Caledonia, Ontario to be exact. I think we're going to see some really great integration between Windows devices, but our neighbours to the south will always be ahead of us... that's just a fact (kind of like how they still get Boo Berry and Franken Berry... oh how I miss those cereals!).

Sorry this didn't help.

Well that's exactly the reason I held out with my Windows Mobile 6.0 phone for as long as I did after my contract expired.

But like I said above, it looks more and more like my current contract will end before Microsoft gets their act together an brings Canada up to speed with the US, let alone integrates all of their services.

Perfect example >> I'm on Zune on my PC right now as I type this. There's no music store.

Dude, this is a platform aiming to take on the iPhone, and there's no music store.

Nobody mentioned this when I bought the phone. The sales staff totally left that detail out.

How can you compete with Apple when an entire country is denied access to the core service?

Microsoft can't blame the CRTC, because this should have been sorted out long before the platform was launched. Every other American online music provider has navigated the regulations just fine.

There's also no ability in Zune to search for, and subscribe to a podcast.. Even those you add manually, can't be updated without physically tethering the device either to the PC, or to a wall outlet with access to your home wifi network (only)

The WP7 marketplace is flush with 3rd party apps that subscribe to and update podcasts automatically and wirelessly. Why is Zune missing these things?

It's a fatal flaw, and this far after their release, demonstrates one of three things

1)  Microsoft's lack of commitment to the entire WP7 platform going forward,

2)  Microsoft's lack of commitment to the Canadian user-base

3)  both.

With these signs, unless you're a hardcore online gamer, there's absolutely no reason to give Microsoft $50 / year for an Xbox Live subscription. It's money down the tubes, and I've yet to see any reason why I'd a) renew, and/or b) continue to support this platform while every other market player continues to leave Microsoft in the dust. 

Sorry this didn't help.

Found an app called "Podcast! PRO, by Melting Bot Software.

It allows you to search for and subscribe to podcasts from your phone.

So basically, it adds the most elementary functionality of an iPhone to Zune. Except you have a pay for it, while wondering how Microsoft ever planned on competing with iTunes by leaving this feature out of its product.

Still telling all my friends to avoid WP7 like the plague until Microsoft enables core functionality in Canada. Of course, people tend to lock themselves into 3-year agreements with Cellular carriers - minimum. So I really can't see how Microsoft will insert itself into the market in a sustainable way.

Haven't felt this much buyer's remorse since I held out for and bought a Sega 32X.

;-(

Sorry this didn't help.