Crash with red dot when returning to dashboard.

Hi all.

Everytime i want to go back to the dashboard after playing a game via ejecting the disc or via guide button + Y, my xbox slim crashes with a red dot and a black screen. There is no error code or red rings lightning. Only the green dot turns red.

This problem only happens after playing about 2-3 hours or more. It doesnt happen if i only play about 30 minutes or one hour.

Also this problem started to happen with the latest small dashboard update a few month ago. (not the big fall update)

I did a few tests and tried different things. I finally found out that the problem has something to do with the 250gb hdd. Because after taking out the hdd and playing arcade games just from the 4gb built-in flash, the problem didnt happen after 2-3 hours play time.

So i tried different things like deleting most installed games on the hdd, clearing the system cache, clear and redownload dashboard update, redownload gamertag. Which all sadly did not help.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

Hello there, Antastan, can I ask if you may have your 360 in a well ventilated area? This can be cause of some overheating issues and sounds likely. Having your 360 in a cramped area with little to no ventilation can cause random issues after a couple of hours. It may seem likely that it happened to affect your HDD. Could you try placing your 360 in a cooler area if it's not? If that doesn't work, it could be an internal problem. Make sure you have a warranty still valid and call support if the issue still persists, seeing as you've tried all other options. The only other suggestion I can give is maybe trying a different HDD. Hope this helps!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi. My xbox has plenty of room in all directions. Its also put horizontal (if that matters in this case)

I wonder, if its really an overheating issue, shouldnt the xbox crash in the middle of gaming and not only when returning to the dashboard? Also its still strange that it started to happen right after the latest dashboard update.

I still have warranty for about 6 months. But as far as i now if you send in your console, you have to take out your hdd. So i wonder if Microsoft can even reproduce my problem then.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hm, that is very strange. Have you tried your HDD in another Xbox? Maybe you can try it at a friend's house or something? If you can try your HDD on another console and the result is different, it might be your console that is the problem. It could be that it's having trouble turning off for some reason. Also, make sure your power cord is connected firmly to both the console and the wall as well.

Sorry this didn't help.