Cracking sounds when HDMI is set to Bitstream OUT

Me:
After the latest Update for XBOX ONE, setting the sound HDMI Bitstream OUT , makes cracking sounds. However when setting the HDMI to uncompressed 5.1, sounds are ok.

I had the same pb when it was on DTS before the update. Anyone is experiencing the same?

I have a Denon AVR R4000 brand new with Bowers and Wilkins speakers. Listening to music directly through the AVR does not produce any cracking sounds. so it is definetely coming from the XBOX one.

Question Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 515 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

In that setup, why would you set it to  bitstream?  Better to output 5.1/7.1 uncompressed....

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I wanted to leave the sound processing to my AVR instead of the XBOX ONE. I have the impression that in this situation the Denon is doing a better job than the XBOX ONE PCM. nevertheless, using Bitstream should not introduce cracking sounds ??

Sorry this didn't help.

Regarding the HDMI Bitrate, since the update I have tried switching from 5.1 to Bitrate which has drastically improved the surround sound, but after about 5 minutes the audio completely cuts out. I have tried this several times and while uncompressed stereo, 5.1, and 7.1 always work, Bitrate with Dolby Surround sound much better. Has anyone else had this issue?

Sorry this didn't help.

No, it should not cause crackling, but you are still better off setting the One to output 5.1/7.1 uncompressed PCM.  If you set it to bitstream DD, all the Xbox One is doing is using DD (a lossy codec) to compress/encode that same uncompressed 5.1/7.1 PCM to a DD bitstream to send to your receiver.  Your receiver then decodes/decompresses that back to 5.1/7.1 PCM.  Why add an extra encode by the One and decode by the receiver when you can just output 5.1/7.1 uncompressed (which you can still process using your receiver to apply effects etc.)?

Sorry this didn't help.

If your HDMI is going straight from your One to your receiver, there is no point in using anything other than PCM, you are just going to lose sound quality.  The only time to use bitstream over HDMI is if your HDMI cable is going to straight to your TV and then your TV is sending the sound to your receiver, since optical and coaxial cables will only carry bitstream surround.

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having this issue as well. I use a sound bar that only supports Dolby Digital (no DTS). The only quirk in my setup is that I run everything through an HDMI switch with an optical out that runs to the sound bar. When I enable Dolby Digital with Bitstream over HDMI I instantly get the crackling/static sounds. I have no issues with it set to Stereo and I do not have any issues with hardware other than the XBOX One.

Sorry this didn't help.

As Th3AngryGerman puts it, the sound in Bitstream Dolby Surround is much higher quality than uncompressed 5.1, at least with my Denon AVR X4000. I use the Xbox One just to watch streamed movies on Amazon, Hulu and Netflix, and you tube. Also I use extensively Skype. I am not a gamer.

I just reinitialized the XBOX One , cleared the MAC address. the cracking stopped. i will monitor if it comes back. usually, what i noticed, it will after maybe 30 minutes of watching a movie. this is what happened after the last update.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same thing with Optical and HDMI with Dolby Digital out. It causes a random cracking pattern in my headphones. Like a sound get jammed and goes in circle or something.

Sorry this didn't help.

Unfortunately, even after a reset, I still have this cracking noise in Bitstream Dolby digital.

It seems it is kind of a bug :-(

Sorry this didn't help.

Regarding the assertion that "the sound in Bitstream Dolby Surround is much higher quality than uncompressed 5.1," if true that makes no sense and is indicative of some problem with the One's audio output or perhaps settings on your receiver.  This would be like saying an MP3 is higher quality than the original CD track from which it was made.

Sorry this didn't help.