Couldn't change windows live ID + xbox support failure = lost microsoft points, games, money

I posted this on the other forum, but never got a clear answer: 

About a month ago, I attempted to change the windows liveID connected to my gamer tag. I tried on my xbox and online, but got error messages. I called xbox support, and went through all the troubleshooting attempts with the associate over the phone, nothing worked, so the associate escalated my call and told me that someone would get in contact with me. Nobody ever did. I called back about a week later. I went through all the troubleshooting again. My call was escalated again. I wasn't called back again. A third time, I called and spoke to an associate, and we went through the troubleshooting. The associate was very nice and helpful, but he couldn't fix my issue. I was escalated again. I spoke to the team leader, and he could not fix my issue. After approximately 3 hours on the phone on this particular call (probably close to 6 hours total with xbox live customer support) the team leader decided that we should cancel my account, and start over again. The team leader, Wes, was very nice and knowledgeable, and helped me as much as he could. He sent me a pin number so I could keep the remaining time on my gold subscription, and I started a new gamer tag.

I now have a new windowsliveID and a new gamer tag. However, I spent approximately 5-6 hours on the phone with xbox attempting to rectify a fairly basic problem that was not of my own doing. Further, after spending that huge amount of time on the phone, I lost the amount of tokens or microsoft points or whatever on my prior account. Again, I'd like to stress that the xbox live associates were very nice and polite, and did everything they could. They should all be commended. On the other hand, I, as the customer, went through a ridiculous ordeal for a basic issue, and lost money to boot. On top of that, I lost all the progress in every single one of the games I've ever played. The icing on the cake: I attempted to play a game that I purchased from xbox live and downloaded to my system - the very same system I currently have. However, when I attempt to play the game, it informs me that I cannot. Not only did I lose my microsoft points, but I lost the games that I paid for, downloaded, and are still on the system. 

I called xbox support for what seems like the 90th time, and inquired about this issue. Even though none of the issues were my own fault, I was told that there was absolutely nothing I could do, and any money I put into Microsoft Points was essentially forfeited, and any games I purchased were gone. I was told I had no recourse other than to post on this forum.

I've been an xbox live customer since the original xbox, and all that is gone. It's doubly frustrating because the issue I had with the liveID was never even fixed. Because I was tired of dealing with the process (and who wouldn't be?), I decided it was easier to scrap the old name, accomplishments, and everything else, and just start over. Had I not decided to do that, I'd probably still be on the phone with xbox live. 

While I'm willing to give up the accomplishments and progress I made under my old gamertag, I simply cannot and will not believe that xbox and/or microsoft are unwilling or unable to refund to me the money that is rightfully mine and restore the game that I rightfully own.

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

Hi there.

May I ask why you attempted to change the Windows Live ID for your original account? Can you remember what error messages you may have received at the time?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

By creating a new account, you can't have access to the content on another account.

An error message or code would help us out with your old account, but getting refunds on your previous content would have to bee taken up with Phone Support.  

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.