Could my sister be *** up my Live?

I have a question. I've had Live for a long time now and usually everything works perfect. I can log in, stay connected, and in general I have good internet. Never lag, anything. In my house besides my 360, there is also my PC, my dads laptop, and my moms laptop. Again, never any issues. Well my sister came around from college over a  month of so ago, and around there I noticed that I would get disconnected from Live randomly from time to time. I didn't think much of it. Recently I bought Red Dead Redemption and started playing single player, and I noticed that I constantly get disconnected, which made me spend half of the day trying to resolve this issue. Just now I thought that maybe it's my sisters laptops fault. I'm wondering if that's a possible reason. She has a laptop as well and I don't know anything about her IP or how that works since where she usually lives, she also has internet. Is it possible that it's that specific laptops fault? Seems weird but I'm unsure at this point since I'm out of ideas on what to do on this issue. I can't really play any multiplayer games since it kicks me non-stop. 

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 5 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Unless she accessed your router settings and changed something I would say no, her laptop isn't the reason for your disconnections. It's more likely that some one near you has a wireless router that is interfering with your signal and knocking you offline. To remedy that, you could try to change the channel your router uses.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi,

There could be a few reasons for this but try Obsessives suggestion first (assuming your Xbox is wireless). It could also be whatever your sister is using on the net, big downloads, videos, youtube, on demand players could easily gobble up all of the bandwidth leaving nothing for the Xbox = lag

Sorry this didn't help.

Check your router settings to see if UPnP is enabled.  Your sister may have a UPnP capable program running that is opening ports on your router causing the disconnect if your router does a poor job handling UPnP like mine does.

Sorry this didn't help.

@Obsessive What exactly do you mean by changing the channel my router uses? I'm decent with computers, but networking stomps me. Do you mean like setting up a Static IP instead for my router? If so, do you have any good sources that I could follow?

Sorry this didn't help.

Ok nevermind, I figured it out. It was actually very simple to change the channel. Somebody else WAS under my channel since I have all green bars and that person has 1 red so they're probably mooching off. Either way, thanks guys, I'll see if this helped. I did enable by UPnP and changed the channel so we'll see!

Sorry this didn't help.

This guide may help you improve your wireless connection.  Changing the channel is number 6 on this list: http://www.microsoft.com/athome/setup/wirelesstips.aspx

Hope that makes sense.

Sorry this didn't help.

@inetus, sorry my recommendation was to make sure UPnP was not enabled.  I didn't make that very clear reading my statement.

Sorry this didn't help.

Ok well I'm still getting disconnected. Port forwarding is getting really *** up now. I tried to make the static IP to 192.168.2.150 but it tells me that the dynamic I had before 192.168.2.8 is also in use and I'm a duplicate administator or something. When I try to configure my settings on the 360, it'll connect me to live, but when I test my connection it fails on the first step. Sometimes it'll work, but eventually make my NAT strict or moderated. I honestly have no idea what is going on but Microsoft can go *** themselves

Sorry this didn't help.

Its nothing to do with Microsoft its your own set-up

Please read:- forums.xbox.com/.../9.aspx

And post back your details in full (the bits that are in bold on that post) so that people may help

If you are wireless can you also state whether you are using the white or black external adapter or the Xbox 360S Internal adapter

Thanks

Sorry this didn't help.

What Country/State/Province do you live in?  Pennsylvania, USA

Modem brand & model number:  RCA DCM425

Router brand & model number: Belkin F5D8236-d V1

Network Connection Type: Wireless

If Wireless, what type of encryption are you using? Wut?

If Wireless, are you using a white or black external adapter, or an internal (Xbox 360S) adapter? I have an external white adapter.

Things you have tried: Changing the router channel. Read below for more

Is UPnP Enabled? No

Is NAT Type Open? Also read below please

Any Error Codes you encounter: Read below... it's all connected

What type of internet do you have? Cable

Who is your ISP(Internet Service Provider)? Comcast

After you run "Test Xbox LIVE connection" and click on "More info", what is the exact message shown on screen? Again, read below

@read below

Alright so I'll try to make this as little confusing as I can. I've had this problem before, way back when everybody played Halo 3 religiously. The problem was the NAT. Once I forwarded those ports, it said NAT is open, and I fixed my issue. Well now this problem randomly came back. Since I got it, Halo Reach has been telling me my NAT isn't open, but it's never actually been an issue so I just ignored it sine everything worked fine. Well eventually I started getting disconnected. Nobody has messed with the internet as far as I know, nor the ports. I checked at the 192.168.2.1 and the ports were still there, all good. For my private IP before I used 192.168.2.2 and now I tried to change it thinking that was the issue. I changed it to 4, leaving everything the same. I went into the port forward checker, and it told me the ports are closed. So I went back, changed it to 2 again, and then the program told me they were open, I found that strange. Since I changed my router channel to 8, I tried putting 8 at the end of my IP and it worked, the ports were open. So I went on my 360 to make the IP static, but here are the two things that would happen (I tried it many different times)

1. It wouldn't connect me at all, and when I ran the test it would get an error saying it can't connect on the first step.

2. I would connect to xbox live, but it would tell me my NAT is on strict (which confuses me also since I thought I just forwarded the ports)

For the 360 static IP, I just went, did the manual option, put in the private IP, so 192.168.2.8 that I forwarded the ports onto, and left the other stuff because I thought it was right.

I also at one point tried making my IP static through the use of the PortForward program that's suppose to do it for you. At that point my private IP was still on 192.168.2.8 so I tried to make that into a static IP of 192.168.2.150. Well everything worked until I went on the router support website (192.168.2.1) and tried going to the virtual servers. I ended up getting an error about there being a duplicate administrator and how this IP if conflicting with 192.168.2.8.

Yes, confusing and long. I'm just lost at this point. I'll probably end up calling support later today, unless somebody has any tips or advice on what I can do. The whole port forwarding this is confusing me because the first time I've done it (like 2 years ago), I never had to do anything except forward the ports. I didn't have to mess with my 360 and all that like I do now.

Another side note. Yesterday I was playing some Red Dead Redemption multiplayer thinking what the hell, might as well enjoy it for the few minutes. Surprisingly I played for a while, no connection issues, but at one point my friend sent me a part invite. I dunno if it's connected but it was joining for a pretty long time so I decided to hit the guide button and just go back into the game. Well when I did, I noticed my game has lagged and soon after I got disconnected. Might just be a coincidence  though since once I logged back on, I joined his party and played offline while in the party for a pretty long time (it also ended kicking me but that was after a while)

Sorry this didn't help.