Corrupted data on internal storage, even after formatting and factory defaulting

Hi!

A friend of mine asked me to help him solve this issue.

His Xbox 360 Slim does not let him create profiles. He only has interal storage, and after a factory reset I noticed that a profile and an item under System Items, in Storage, shows as corrupted.

He told me he got this error code before: 8007 2F76.

Whenever he tries to create a profile, the console simply asks for the profile name again, no error message (such as "profile name must start with a letter", or any other).

We tried resetting, formatting, clearing the cache five or six times, turning it off, manually deleting the files, and nothing works.

Do you suggest anything else we can do, or have a definitive solution? It may take some time to reply, because I'd give him the instructions so he could try on his home, but we'll manage.

Thank you in advance!

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 15 Applies to:

Hello,

Has he owned the console since new or did he buy it 2nd hand?  I am thinking it may be 2nd hand as generally the only thing a factory reset cannot remove is parental control.  This has to be done by xbox themselves.

If he has owned it since new is the other profile his?  If so you could follow this link to find instructions to remove the profile from all 360 consoles ever visited:  support.xbox.com/.../error-code-80151012

Is he trying to create a LIVE profile or just one to use on the console without going on the internet?  This does make a difference.  When creating a Live account it will not accept a name already created.  Can he make one with the automatically suggested name then change it later with the free name change?  (you get 1 free name change so think about it carefully)

Alternatively he can make a profile on-line at xbox.com then take it to the console.  On the console next to the create a profile icon is a download profile icon.  That is where you download it.

Plus here are some tips on clearing the cache :

1. Remove profile - SETTINGS page (far right from home page), select STORAGE, then find your profile and remove.

2. While in you hard drive under GAMES & APPS look for any red or yellow icons with incomplete or unknown.  Delete them.

3.Clear System Cache - SETTINGS page, select STORAGE and highlight a drive but don't select it.  Press Y and select Clear System Cache.  Agree when asked.

4. Be Patient - turn your console off for a full minute.  This assists in resetting the console.

5. Turn on the console and download your profile - it is the icon next to 'create a profile'.  Try again

Good luck & happy gaming

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you for the reply!

He has owned it since it was new.

There is no profile saved on the console, offline or otherwise, only a corrupted file.

The error occurs in both cases, online and offline creation: no message is shown, it simply asks for a username again.

Downloading a profile does not work either.

Clearing the cache had no effect.

EDIT: There is no parental control.

Could it be a hardware issue, like memory or processor?

Thank you, againg, for the prompt reply!

Sorry this didn't help.

The error code you listed in your original post suggests a networking problem.  You could try the steps listed here

support.xbox.com/.../error-code-80072F76

However, if that doesn't help your friend may need to either purchase a new console or an official Xbox hard drive for his console.

Sorry this didn't help.