Controllers wont power on system, if so, then won't sync

Ive had my console since March and so far this has happened about 10 times to me.

I take one of my 2 controllers and hold the Xbox button to power on the console, and it wont come on. xbox led just blinks.

When this happens, I'm ***. If I try the 2nd controller, same behavior.

I power on the system manually and it comes up, resumes to dashboard, etc.

However controllers will not sync. If I hit sync on the controllers and system, refuse to sync. I even plugged a controller up via USB and still would not sync.

Only once did I power off and back on the system and they worked.

Typically I pull the power plug out, no wait, and plug it right back in. Boots up, I power on a controller and auto syncs.

This is incredibly tedious.

I have some usb only mini controllers I'll try next time, but not sure if that makes a difference.

I also recently got a Kinect, sadly not advertised as refurbished, but it was. So I tried out of 6 times to get it to turn the console on, but often doesn't work. I now wonder if the issue is also related to the controllers.

Note, I only got the Kinect about 2 weeks ago and have had this problem for 3 months, so definitely not related to the kinect.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 6 Applies to:

Hey Thelgow, 

Sorry to hear about these issues. I've been scouring the internet to find ya a solution. I hope I did. So if you don't mind i'd like you to give these awesome solutions a try. Okay so They are listed below. Awesome :D

First Solution (Very Silly)

1.     Just do me a favor and check to make sure you batteries are good :P 

Second Solution 

1.    Hold the power button on your controller for 10 seconds.
  2.    Once your console is turned off Unplug it! 
  3.    Wait Five minutes then plug your console back in. 
  4.    Try to power on the console with the controller.

Third Solution 

1.      If your controller is not connected you may need to reconnect your controller.

Also try : 

From Home screen, press the Menu button, select Settings > Power & startup, and then “Energy-saving power mode”

http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/xbox_one_support/f/4677/t/1734853.aspx

Okay awesome. So I hope these solutions fixed your issue. If not just message back here and we'll get you sorted out. Sweet best of luck mate :).

-Voss

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Well one of the steps you mention, unplugging it, is the "fix". Controllers will work for 2-3 days until it decides to do it again.

Next time it occurs I'll try all the voodoo timing and what not.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the exact same problem.

I can use the controllers for any length of time once connected but as soon as I turn the console off the controller gets disconnected once I turn the unit back on.

If I try to turn the unit back on via the controller the LED on the controller simply flashes and the console stays off.

If I turn the console on manually the controller isn't connected and no amount of re'syncing will fix it.

The only way for me to reconnect the controller is to do a full system reset and then use the controller to turn on the console.

Really annoying having to full reset my console every time I want to use it.

Considering returning the console.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have been having same issue. Controller will not start Xbox and I have to sync controller every time I turn on console. Very annoying. This just started in the last month. I have the Xbox day one edition.  I tried what was mentioned in the forum above and it worked the next time I used console but not since then. Please fix this!!

Sorry this didn't help.

Just got the latest Xbox update and this controller issue still remains... thousands of post about disconnecting controllers and no fixes !

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi there

just as an addition when you press and hold the power button on the console to do a power cycle, be sure to wait until the light on the power supply is and remains orange, if you do that you can should wait another 30 seconds before you power the console on again.

My experience is that it isn't needed to unplug the console for 5 minutes and unplugging to quickly may disturb the proper power cycle steps

Sorry this didn't help.