Controllers Disconnecting

Having controller issues. Controllers disconnect when I do certain things in different games. My controllers are fine, batteries are new. Latest example is in Arkham City, everytime I do a stealth takedown or everytime I grapple it disconnects, I can press the buttons for doing the moves, and nothing will happen. Like I can spam RB all day long and it won't disconnect, but if I actually grapple successfully, it will disconnect.

Another example is Skyrim, I can shoot arrows, I can miss, and no disconnect, but If I shoot, and I hit someone, it disconnects.

Sometimes I can turn on my console and none of these issues occur, but every now and then, I will turn it on, and the same disconnects for the same actions will occur.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 70 Applies to:

[quote user="Matictac"]

Having controller issues. Controllers disconnect when I do certain things in different games. My controllers are fine, batteries are new. Latest example is in Arkham City, everytime I do a stealth takedown or everytime I grapple it disconnects, I can press the buttons for doing the moves, and nothing will happen. Like I can spam RB all day long and it won't disconnect, but if I actually grapple successfully, it will disconnect.

Another example is Skyrim, I can shoot arrows, I can miss, and no disconnect, but If I shoot, and I hit someone, it disconnects.

Sometimes I can turn on my console and none of these issues occur, but every now and then, I will turn it on, and the same disconnects for the same actions will occur.

[/quote]How long have you had the controllers for? What Xbox 360 console are you using? I would suggest clearing your system cache and removing any objects that may be interfering with your wireless controllers.

To clear the system cache:

1. Press the Guide button on your controller, go to Settings, and select System Settings.
  2. Select Storage or Memory.
  1. Highlight any storage device, and then press Y on your controller. (It doesn't matter which storage device you select; the cache will be cleared for all storage devices.)
  2. Select Clear System Cache.
  1. When prompted to confirm storage device maintenance, select Yes.

Remove objects between the controller and the console:

A wireless controller works within 33 feet (10 meters) of your console. However, objects placed between the controller and the console might reduce this range. In addition, objects that use wireless technology (for example, a cordless phone) can interfere with your wireless controller. Remove or relocate objects or wireless devices that might interfere with the wireless controller or console. Here are some things that can cause problems:

• Microwave ovens
  • Cordless phones
  • Wireless routers
  • Chrome faceplates
  • Metal dividers
  • Shelves
  • Doors on an entertainment center cabinet

Note All licensed Xbox 360 console faceplates are tested for interference and do not interfere with licensed wireless devices.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello Matistac,

please check this link,its a guide on how to resolve issues like yours.

support.microsoft.com/.../911111

Sorry this didn't help.

Figured it out myself, something to do with the controller vibrating, disabled that and they have been good since. Really strange though, I know that they wouldn't disconnect when I could actually feel the controller disconnecting, only for really minor vibrations.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey Matictac! This is curious, so, to be sure, it was simply your vibration settings that were interfering with your game play? Can you tell us what controller models you have? What console model? To resolve this, did you disable the vibration settings? Let us know! :)

Sorry this didn't help.

There are all of these answers above, or maybe the controller is broken. I've had to repair mine a few times (take them apart) and dropping or throwing them can definitely cause something like that to happen.

Sorry this didn't help.

@Miss Kleo, My console is a black elite, will be (I think) 2 years old this Christmas.

Two of my controllers are the black ones which come with the Elite console, and another is the Halo: Reach controller.

At first I disabled Vibration in the game I was playing, but not all games had that option, so I disabled it through the guide through preferences, and it's all fine now.

Strange thing is, when I take my controllers to friends houses and play on their consoles, there is no issues at all with vibration, and when friends bring their controllers here, their controllers get the same issue.

So I guess it's something with the signal the Xbox is sending out.

Sorry this didn't help.

I know this has already been answered, but I wanted to add a little more from my own experience. If the controller is old, it may be the battery pack itself causing the issue. My old controllers both do this when jarred or shaken around enough. I believe it has to do with the locking mechanism that holds the pack on, the spring inside wears down over time and loses its hold.

Sorry this didn't help.

If your controller is wired I thing could be damaged, and a little vibration can disconnect it,  in my opinion you can disable vibration to solve your problem you can disable vibration by:

Xbox guide-Preferences-Vibrations-enable disable vibation

I hope this work for you.

Sorry this didn't help.