Controller doesn't power on

Xbox one Day one edition.  Just opened it for the kids for Christmas.  It powers on and gets me to the screen with the controller.  The Day one controller is DOA.  No power with batteries or when connected directly to the xbox through USB.  You would think that it would be fortunate that I have a 2nd controller - but that one is not paired to the box yet (since it hasn't initialized) and I can not use it to get past the controller screen either wirelessly or when directly connected.  I have already contacted microsoft and they were useless other than to suggest that I take it back to target.  Anyone have any other ideas before I pack this bad boy up?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

I am having the same problem.  I looked at the battery slots and noticed one of the metal connector tabs is underneath a piece of plastic which does not make contact with the batteries.  Clearly a manufacture's fault.  I'm going to have to wait until tomorrow.  

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

That sucks.  Very frustrating.  I think mine may be more than just that.  It should work without batteries when directly connected and mine doesn't do that either.  Definitely a bit of a drag for the kids on Christmas morning

Sorry this didn't help.

I know this is probably the first thing you tried AcquittedStew42 but can you make sure you have the batteries in the correct way? The positive and negative guide marks are on the metal connection prongs inside the battery compartment. If they were in correct can you please try a new set of batteries.

Sorry this didn't help.

Ive tried that.  Thats not the issue.

Sorry this didn't help.

I think there is something to the loose battery connection.  I played with the batteries (holding them in manually) and was able to get it to power on for about 30s.  Unfortunately, I cannot recreate it and it wasn't long enough to get my other controller paired.  I think I'll just return this.

Sorry this didn't help.