Controller disconnects - vibration problem - cause of problem: XCOM: Enemy Unknown

The Problem: Xbox 360 controller disconnects during high impact moments when controller vibration occurs. Game being played at the time does not matter.

Consoles used: Xbox 360 Elite 60GB (purchased in 2008), Xbox 360 Slim 250GB (purchased in 2013)

Controllers used: Numerous, roughly half a dozen, I've lost count

Games problem (definitely) occurs in: XCOM: Enemy Uknown (case zero), Borderlands 2, Tomb Raider

I've had this problem with using controllers on my Xbox since last year, around the time I picked up XCOM: Enemy Unknown. Mainly it seems when a high impact action occurs the controller disconnects. Low impact vibration seems fine. I've tested many variables in regards to this problem.

Details of issue in 2012, starting early October:

- Controller disconnects during play of XCOM:EU (release date: October 12th AUS), during moments where a squad mate is hit or killed.

- I don't believe the problem occurred immediately after using the software. If memory serves, I played a fair amount of XCOM:EU before the problem truly emerged.

- Controller also begins disconnecting during play of Borderlands 2 (release date: September 20th AUS), around just about any vibration moment.

- Batteries have been switched countless times and between brands, brand new out of packet batteries are used yet the problem persists.

- The problem still occurs even with a charge pack being utilized (not with USB cable attached).

- I've tested half a dozen controllers on my Xbox 360 Elite 60GB yet the problem still remains.

- Using a USB cord connected to the Xbox the problem does not persist.

- I had played other games around the same time as XCOM:EU and Borderlands 2, but I kept the USB cord attached the whole time to avoid the problem. I assume it would have persisted even with these games. I was not aware of being able to switch off vibration in preferences at the time and thought it was purely an in game option, such an option XCOM:EU and Borderlands 2 don't have.

Details of issue in 2013, between March 1st and March 25th:

- I purchase a new Xbox 360 Slim 250GB, replacing my old Xbox 360 Elite 60GB. I had not played the older model for about 3 months.

- With this new Xbox the problem does not persist, the controller is brand new too. It is the only controller I have used on the new Xbox so far.

- Tomb Raider (release date: March 1st AUS, street date was broken) is the only game I had played on the new console until March 24th, no controller disconnect issues occurred in that time.

- I insert the same copy of XCOM: Enemy Unknown into the new Xbox 360 Slim 250GB console on March 24th. Immediately after my first squad mate death the controller disconnects. I attach the USB power cable and continue play for another several hours, the problem ceases to persist.

- March 25th I detach the USB power cable. I switch the XCOM:EU disc for the Tomb Raider disc, the first enemy I kill disconnects the controller. Taking a high jump and landing roughly also disconnected the controller. Low impact vibrations such as firing a weapon do not cause the controller to disconnect.

- I delete all data of XCOM:EU from console and cloud storage. The problem persists while playing Tomb Raider.

- Turning off vibration in preferences stops the controller from disconnecting in Tomb Raider.

Conclusion:

I'm ignorant in the field of Information Technology, but here's my theory. There must be a bug on the XCOM: Enemy Unknown's disc which affects the Xbox 360 console (seemingly model doesn't matter). It seems impossible because the game doesn't install or anything such as that, and I deleted all data of it from the console. Perhaps it causes code or something to be rewritten entirely on the console? I've switched so many variables that turn this into a fair test, and it was a shock to see the problem return after using the same copy of XCOM:EU again on a brand new console. I had a hunch it may have come from XCOM:EU, but there was always the possibility that it may have been something else entirely wrong with the old Elite 60GB. It was an old console going on 5 years without any problems, I assumed the problem had to be stemming from that. But this irrefutably states that XCOM:EU is at fault. Perhaps not all copies, maybe a handful under certain circumstances.

Frustration level: High

I realize vibration is a small thing, but I do like controller feedback from interactions in game. It seems as if my new console is now bugged and I'll have to do a full format of it or something (however that's done). Even then I can imagine this curse still lurking over my Slim 250GB. I doubt this is something large enough that Firaxis or 2K could be bothered dealing with either. At the very least I'd like to make a full, thorough investigation into the anomaly so that any other poor soul with the same problem might be completely aware of the extent it occurs.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 577 Applies to:

Sorry for there being no paragraphs in this post. I added paragraph spacing in but it seems to have removed it, even after an editing attempt.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hey Miles. Man, this sounds super frustrating. Alright, so let me recap real quick. Whenever you have a significant vibration, your controller disconnects. Doesn't matter the game, or the controller, or the console correct? Do you have the ability to try out that XCOM disc in another console, to try and see if it is in fact the game? Also, those controllers that disconnect, do you have the ability to test those on a different console and different game? Let us know, thanks. : )

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Mr.Ohnaka. I don't have direct access to another console other than my own, and I don't think anyone I know would want the affects on their console. I could try out my controller on a friend's console some time, yet I don't know when that might be. Thanks for the reply.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have had this problem with other games, ( i.e high vibration causing controller to disconnect). What i did, and works is to get a cable that plugs into the xbox and controller, such as a cable you would get with a rechargeable battery. They are fairly inexpensive and after getting one, you shouldn't have the problem again!

Sorry this didn't help.

hey dude, anyways the reason could be because your controller is getting old, so i would suggest turn off vibration or get a wired one. or do as Steve suggested.

Sorry this didn't help.

That's just it, though. The controller and console I have right now is brand new! I tried many new controllers on the Elite 60GB, and this controller came with the Slim 250GB that I purchased a month ago. I would understand if the controller were a couple of years old or more, but it boggles my mind how a brand new controller would react this way.

Thanks for the response Steve and Powerplayer. I know I can easily avert this by turning off vibration, or using a cable, this is just something of a mystery to me.

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm curious about the batteries you are using.  Are you using AA batteries or a rechargable battery pack?  I don't believe it's recommended to use the charging cable with regular AA or rechargable AA batteries.

Sorry this didn't help.