Contemplating buying the Xbox Slim

I know I'm REALLY late, but I'm thinking about buying either a new 4gb or a refurbished 4gb xbox slim, and using a transfer cable for my old hardrive. First off, is getting refurbished console risky? Also, how good is the quality of the wireless adapter built into the slim compared to the previous plug-in version? Lastly, please tell me anything I may need to know about the slim that would sway my decision. Thanks!

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 3 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Don't buy a refurbished/used 360 console. Ever. You never know if it is banned or will be in the future.

The wireless is single-band 2.4Ghz only. If you live in a 2.4Ghz-noisy environment, there may be issues. Worst-case, the previous generation wireless adapters work with the 360 S.

Keep in mind the 4GB console has no HDD. It's a 4GB flash drive. Things like original XBOX games on the backwards compatability list and certain game add-ons won't work with just a flash drive.

I'd really suggest NOT going with the 4GB. Unless you're someone who has used less than 4GB on your current console, I have no idea why you'd do that. Also, you'll be surprised how quickly you can eat through that 4GB.

I'm in the same boat as you, though. I want to get the Gears of War 3 Xbox, but I don't know if I want to spend the $400. I was SUPPOSED to go to Vegas and had $1,000 saved for that, then that got canceled, so I have that money to do whatever with as a result. I want to go get Gears 3 now, but I want to get that console at some point, seeing as the Star Wars one I wanted is delayed until next year. So I want to get the game, but if I get the console, I have a second copy that'll rot or be a $30 loss to give it to GameStop, if not more.

With getting a used console, they typically come with some sort of warranty, so you should be OK, but not sure, as I've never bought anything other than a N64 the whole time.

The reason I was going with the 4GB is because I have a 60GB now, and I really don't have the means to purchase the 250GB or 320GB version. Also, I live in a suburban/borderline rural area, so I don't think the 2.4Ghz wil be a problem...thanks, though.

That 60gb HDD will NOT work on the newer consoles.

@Zack...then you should get the one YOU want and if it's the 4Gb one, then go for it.

[quote user="Zesty Zack"]

The reason I was going with the 4GB is because I have a 60GB now, and I really don't have the means to purchase the 250GB or 320GB version. Also, I live in a suburban/borderline rural area, so I don't think the 2.4Ghz wil be a problem...thanks, though.

[/quote]

Zack, the 60 GB hard drive will not plug into the new slims.  Its a totally different setup.  You can however, buy the 4GB model and if you want to at a later point buy a hard drive for the slim.  But there is no way to connect the older drives to the slim console.  Just thought you should know before you make up your mind. :)

Like everyone is saying, external hard drives are no longer compatible with the new version. Your best bet is just to pick up the 250 GB Slim. I picked one up recently and in my opinion, it's well worth it. Plus I think it's only a $100 difference between the 4GB and the 250GB.

That 60GB drive WILL plug into the slim, you just have to remove it from the plastic shell microsoft put it in. The slim uses a standard SATA connector, so a bare drive will fit just fine. Here's a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeN1sKaNSuc&feature=related

Here's a link for the case to put it in, but it's not required. But I do recommend shimming the hdd against the 360 its self.

http://www.eachgame.com/goods-4420.html

[quote user="BanjoApocalypse"]That 60GB drive WILL plug into the slim[/quote]Just because something is physically possible does not mean it is permitted.

It's not permitted to install an original 360 HDD in a 360 S.

Been thinking about this also. My Pro is still kicking after my arcade E74'ed.