Constantly dropping connection to Live

I've been losing my connection to Live sprodically for a week or so.  This happened a month or two ago, and I discovered that my router had reset the NAT to strict.  I reverted it to factory settings and redid all the NAT fixes.  The only one that worked was placing the XBOX in a DMZ.  So I did that and the network test ont eh XBOX tells me there are no problems.

Over this last weekend, I started seeing a lot of buffering while watching HULU, while Netflix has virtually none.  But now, its worse, firing up the XBOX to dashboard can result in a disconnect.  I get a lot of random messages telling me I'm disconnected or can't connect and then can immediately reconnect.

the stats:

What Country/State/Province do you live in? USA, MO
Modem brand & model number: Motorolla Surfboard SB6120
Router brand & model number: Linksys E1000 (first model, with latest firmware)
If Wireless, are you using a white or black external adapter, or an internal (Xbox 360S) adapter? Internal adapter

Thinsgs tried: UPnP was tried, but did not resolve NAT issue

NAT error currently? No

Error codes: CAnnot connect to Xbox Live/Can only access some features of Live at this time

ISP: Charter Communications

After you run "Test Xbox LIVE connection" press “Y” for "More Info”. In the pop-up that appears, what are the following values, if shown? (If a value below does not appear for you, just leave it blank.)

X: 0001-8005
Y: 20A8 - 4800
Z: 0000-0000
ID: FFFF - FFFF
L: 0015 - 10F0
Q: 8015 - 100D
T: Wireless
D: 24.217.0.5; 24.217.201.67
S: WPA2
C: 11

My results from Speedtest.net are as follows:

That's a fairly typical result.  

Other things I've tried but haven't worked:

Clearing the xbox HD cache.

Resetting modem, router and xbox with appropriate time delay before restarting.

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-live/connecting/cant-connect-to-xbox-live-wizard

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-live/connecting/performance  

I have not contacted my ISP about this issue, as all other devices connect just fine to the internet.  Therefore, I appear to be having a problem between my xbox, modem, router and live, probably in the modem or router.  To make changes in the modem I do have to contact Charter - when I accessed the modem there were no options to change it.  I was hoping to make the necessary changes to stop double-NATing, even though from what I understand, that doesn't happen with my model of modem (at least, googling didn't find me any answers).

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 240 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Do you have your wireless network secured with a password? If not there is a chance other people could be using your connection. Or there could possibly be some interupting of services from charter. I have Charter and they have been known to have issues.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Although you were able to reset your NAT settings, because you were originally had strict NAT settings, try making sure all the necessary ports are open and all these steps have been completed:  support.xbox.com/.../nat-type-strict

Also, I would suggest making sure that not just the network settings on your router are reset, but the network settings on the actual console are, too.

If you can, try connecting the Xbox directly to your modem (wired) to determine if it's the equipment or the connection.

Hopefully this helps :D

Sorry this didn't help.

The network does have a password on it.  I guess I could change the password on it, but I don't think I need to.

I tried Port Forwarding before, but it didn't resolve the original NAT problem.  My understanding is that placing the xbox in a DMZ is an alternate solution to that?  I've read that I shouldn't do port forwarding and a DMZ at the same time, but I don't really know if that's true.  Ah well, I'll give it a shot.

Sorry this didn't help.

Bastid Bob, How did it go? Are you up and running?

Sorry this didn't help.

It seems a bit better these days, even though I didn't change anything.  I remain convinced it is on Live's side, not mine - perhaps related to the Beta going on.  

I think this because Hulu is simply impossible to watch because of all the buffering, but Netflix works fine.  If I pause either one, I drop connection to Live, but Netflix runs smoothly (generally) even when Hulu is for crap.  Playing games I am not having dropped connections anymore, and I rarely get told I can't connect to Live when I start the xbox.  

Too many of my friends who once had good, solid connections to Live are now suffering from random drops as well.  We are scattered across the country and on different ISPs, and we all know enough about computers and networking to fix most problems on our end.  Since we all began having problems with this around the same time, I don't think it is an end-user issue, but a Microsoft one.  Here's hoping they fix it soon.

Sorry this didn't help.

try rebooting your router and setting it back up again! worked for me when i was having the same problem! you could also try making sure you nat settings are open!

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there, Bastid Bob. I'm very sorry to hear that you're encountering these disconnections. Taking a step back, if you use a direct connection between your console and modem via an ethernet cable, does the issue persists? Definitely let us know! Thanks in advance.

Sorry this didn't help.

Mister Darcy, that appeared to make a difference.  I didn't get any dropped connections (I've been getting far fewer of those lately), but I did see a lot less buffering when I used Hulu, far and away the worst app I can use on live.  When I reconnected to the router, i saw the buffering kick back in on Hulu.  

While I did have no dropped connections in the 15 minutes I was connected directly to the modem, I also haven't had any disconnects today while connected to the router. Again, I see buffering issues with the Hulu app, but not anything else.  

Mitch, if you looked at my OP, you can see that I did reset the modem to factory and have tried multiple solutions to open the NAT, which is an error I am not actually having.

Does it matter if the xbox is set to a static IP if I'm using the MAC address to access the DMZ?  

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there, Bastid Bob. It sounds like your router may be the issue here if connecting to your modem via an ethernet cable resolved the issue. Going forward you would need to get in touch with your ISP if they provided the router or the router manufacturer if you purchased it yourself. Can you follow up with them to see if they can assist further. In the meantime, I would definitely recommend using a direct connection since that seems to be working for you!

Sorry this didn't help.

Its my own router, and according to xbox, it's compatible with live.  

Last night i connected directly to the modem to watch some hulu.  My wife and I had some catching up to do on tv shows.  It turns out that I still had buffering issues, just not as often as I do when connected to the router.  I'm not sure I will actually have fewer disconnects when going through the modem - I've had fewer lately anyways, as I said above.

I'm very disappointed with this whole thing - i've had Live for a long time and this has only recently been an issue.  I haven't changed anything in my router settings since fixing it before.  I've contacted Linksys about router issues before, and they will simply try to charge me to get it fixed.  I suppose I can buy another model or make of router, but I have no idea if that will fix a problem that nothing can actually detect.

Too many of my friends from Live are having problems for it to be just our routers.  Something changed, and because we are all on different ISPs and have different makes of routers, there has to be something more than all of our NATs suddenly becoming strict when we didn't change any of our settings.  Has the beta for Live caused Microsoft to change anything on its end?  

Sorry this didn't help.