Constantly disconnected from xBox live

New xBox 360S purchased last of November - used Dec, Jan & Feb. worked perfectly for 10 weeks mostly playing Forza Four online. In the past 10 days to 2 weeks I am increasingly being disconnected from xBox live. Spent late Sunday early Monday 3 hours with online support  "Lee" very helpful and patient. There were some Service Alerts when we began but they were resolved - or disappeared as we worked on the problem.  Spent 2 hours late Wed early Thursday with Cathy online - also very patient and helpful. Things seemed better but now have returned again. 

I am in Knoxville TN. using Comcast Cable with purchased extended bandwidth - consistently tests at 36mbps download and 5.5 mbps upload on speed test. 

Modem is Xfinity manufactured by SMC new 4 months ago when telephone service was added. Has 4 Ethernet Jacks for direct wired connection. Is in bridged mode for use with my DLINK DIR 855 Gigabyte Router for my wireless units. Laptop and BluRay Sony wireless DVD - online movie player. 

I have been able to use the wired connection from the xBox 360S to the DLINK Router but not directly to the Xfinity Modem. I can also get connected going wireless. But both are subject to disconnection. It starts sporadically but increases as time online passes. It happens in the middle of online races on Forza Four. 

I moved the xBox close to the router and modem to use shorter ethernet cables and I've tried at least 6 - 2 brand new. 

The Console MAC address is 6045BD2C5171. but when I try to connect direct to the modem I get IP Address Error. 

I tried entering the DNS addresses manually 75.75.75.75 and  second line 75.75.76.76  that still did not work. 

The Status numbers found using the Y button on the controller are. 

W. 0000 000B

X. 4000 1001

Y 0000 0000

z 0000 0000

ID 0001 0002

L 0015 10F1

Q 8007 0435

T WIRED

A 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0   and were prior to that 169.254.141.25/255.255.0.0 which should be the IP Address/subnet mask I think 

G: 0.0.0.0   

D: 75.75.75.75/ 75.75.76.76 

I do not understand why the wired connection works - but then begins to disconnect increasingly through the DLink Router as also happens using the Wireless network 

and I don't understand why I cannot bypass the router and connect directly through the Modem. The Techs at Comcast don't believe there is anything that should preclude use of the Xbox through their modem directly - I have tried at least 3 of the four jacks that work with other devices and I've tried different cables.

I will be glad to provide any other information I can in order to stop this problem that is making it increasingly difficult for me to enjoy my games and has cost me at least 10 hours of TECH TIME with some very nice support people at xBox and Comcast. - Still I would prefer having that time to race and play if at all possible since I'm actually paying a significant part of my retirement income for the privilege.   Can you help me please? 

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

The best suggestion would be to reset your router/modem. That should do the trick, since it may be a connectivity issue. Please feel free to ask any questions if you have any.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I'm sorry if this sounds sarcastic but PLEASE - I've reset the Modem and Router a half dozen times a day trying to deal with this - If by reset you mean hitting the reset button or powering down the units and rebooting them.   In 6 hours of online support chat with "lee" and "cathy" there was never a request to do the "reset" but I have done it anyway. But I will try it again.

Sorry this didn't help.

You can go either one of two routes in my opinion. I am not going to insult your intelligence since you obviously have a grasp on network basics. I would either one, Get my own router. I have had problems with Comcast routers in the past. Even though they say there shouldn't be a problem doesn't mean there cant be. Two, change routers. I have problems with Dlink and Linksys in the past and I recently switched to a Netgear Gigabit router with dual band wireless so I can have my Xbox on a dedicated freq. versus all of my other devices ( 14 in my house) So go to your local electronics store and shop around and make sure you take a look at their return policy so as to return said items if this doesn't fix your problem. Hope that helps.

Sorry this didn't help.

correction. I meant Modem, not router when I said buy your own.

Sorry this didn't help.