Constant updates resulting in nothing!

Hi all,

For the past three days I've been trying to get online but everytime I try and connect to LIVE it asks me for an update. I accept and it installs, restarts and then asks again whenever I try and connect. It's a highly frustrating, never-ending circle. Sometimes it won't  even get past the welcome screen and I have to leave it for hours before I can get into any options, if at all. 

The update originally asked for more space (which is annoying on it's own as I only ever play two games and they work fine without.) So i plugged in a 4GB USB drive and installed the update fine. But then this circle continues.

I've tried turning restarting my WIFI router. I've tried moving the console and power supply to a completely open area. I've tried clearing the cache on the USB drive as well as reconfiguring it. I've tried leaving everything unplugged for hours. I've tried (when had the option) running a game and signing up through that but it does the same thing when I try to download my profile. 

Does anyone have an idea of what this could be? I've trawled the forums for ages and not found anything. I pay my subscription by the month and have lost out on three days of use already. I'm coming close to launching the thing out the window and getting out the hoop an stick.

Any help would be MASSIVELY appreciated!

Westerleigh

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 7 Applies to:

If all else fails send it in for a repair.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi, Westerleigh,

This is definitely an interesting issue.

What it looks like is that somewhere along the line a file or update folder got corrupted, and the console is trying to repair it but for some reason it cannot. It could be that the USB drive is corrupted and the Xbox itself can no longer read the update. Using USB flashdrives for Xbox/Xbox LIVE updates is not recommended, as they can easily corrupt or get damaged, causing this type of problem and forcing you to install the update again. Try resetting the console to factory defaults and then try downloading the update again.

If that doesn't work, the problem is with the system itself, whether it be the memory or something else. In that case, you may have to send your Xbox in to a Microsoft repair center and get the broken parts replaced. Be sure to check information on your console's warranty as well before sending it in, if you have to.

Also, what type of Xbox are you playing on? I've heard of older white Xboxes having trouble downloading some of the newer updates.

Other than that, there's not much more I can offer here. To be completely honest, it sounds like an internal hardware failure that will require some replacement parts from Microsoft.

Sorry to hear about your problem, and hope everything works out for you!

Yours,

Rockstar Cake

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="Westerleigh"]For the past three days I've been trying to get online but everytime I try and connect to LIVE it asks me for an update. I accept and it installs, restarts and then asks again whenever I try and connect.[/quote]

Before you issue a repair request, I'd suggest you try the following first.

Contrary to Rockstar Cake's post I DO recommend using an USB Stick for the update, as I get a lot of help requests with network updates failing.

So please do this first:

Turn off your console. Then press and hold down the synchronize button on your console (the small button you use to connect new wireless controllers. On older Xbox consoles it's the small button next to the memory unit slots, and on the slim models it's the button right next to the USB front flap).

WIth that button held down, push the console's power button, and hold down the sync button until the dashboard shows up.

Then go to the Settings hub all the way to the right, then to the system tile in the upper left and then to the storage options.

There press the following button combination:

Left Bumper, Right Bumper, X, Left Bumper, Right Bumper, X.

Let the console do maintenance, and in the mean time go to your PC with your USB Stick.

On your PC click on this link here.

It should download a compressed update file to your PC named SystemUpdate_16202_USB.zip

After the file downloaded, double click on the file.

You should see a "$Systemupdate"-Folder. Drag and drop that $Systemupdate folder to your USB Stick.

DO NOT move the SystemUpdate_16202_USB.zip file to the USB Stick. You HAVE TO unpack the ZIP and copy the "$Systemupdate" folder!

After the PC finished copying, make sure that when you open your USB Stick you ONLY see the "$Systemupdate" folder. If you go into that folder you should see about a hundred files for the update.

If you see the files immediately on the stick or see the SystemUpdate_16202_USB.zip on the stick you did it "wrong".

If you did it correctly, and only have the "$systemupdate" folder with the files INSIDE, safely remove the USB drive and go to your console.

Insert the USB drive, and if necessary restart your console.

This should then start the update process, and hopefully work it's way through.

You can check the update success, if you go to the Settings hub, then system tile and then choose the system info option.

It should somewhere show the version number of the Dashboard being 2.0.16202....

If that is so, the update was a success.

Sorry this didn't help.

Just a small update: Since Feb. 19th the 2.0.16203 update is being rolled out. So simply replace 16202 with 16203 in my previous post.

Sorry this didn't help.

Wow thanks guys. Despite me ticking "Email me when someone replies" I had no emails so assumed no-one had replied! So first of, thank you both for your help.

Rockstar Cake- I'm on a black Xbox, had it about a year and a half.

ArminatorX- I tried the update by USB stick before and that had no change. If I can I'll try again with the new one and see if that works. HOWEVER! It's now become pretty rare that I can get as far as the dashboard and when I do I can maybe make one command before it freezes. I just  tried holding down the sync button as you suggested but gave up after 5 minutes when the welcome screen was showing no signs of clearing off but my finger was.

I did have some change the other day (which suggests that it had managed to connect somehow?).  I moved the console to a completely isolated area of the room and gave it it's own power socket and things seemed to happen. the update window was different. It got me all excited and then gradually got worse :(

Sorry this didn't help.

Hiya West!

If you are experiencing freezing issues, take at look at the Xbox Screen Freeze Solution tool.

Let us know how it goes, and if you need anymore help! 

Sorry this didn't help.