Constant disconnect from Xbox Live

This has been happening to me since December.  I've read a lot of similar posts here and none seem to be getting resolved.  I'm at work so I don't have all the details from the "START HERE!" post, though I plan on adding them when I get home.

What happens for me is that I'll power up the 360 and my Live account logs on automatically.  Then whether or not I start playing a game, I'll get disconnected from Xbox Live.  This could happen within a few minutes, or up to an hour after.  If I test my network connection it always tests as working fine and Xbox Live is up and fine and I'm able to reconnect.  This happens both with wired and wireless connections and happens when I connect to my neighbors wireless as well.  I've disconnected everything from the wall to the xbox, tried connecting with and without the routers, and made the system pull down all updates again and it's still constantly disconnecting me as I play.

This is the exact same equipment I've been using for years and have never had an issue till December.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hey there Argalon! I understand you are having some issues connecting to LIVE. You mention that you get disconnected at random times. Do you find that you are disconnected when loading games or apps, or will it disconnect if you simply leave it alone on the Dashboard? Do you find you get disconnected only when playing certain games?

Definitely post back with the info requested in the guide. It would be best to run the network connection test immediately after you are disconnected from LIVE rather than running it when everything is connected properly. Looking forward to your post, thanks!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Generally I get disconnected while playing games, the most recent being Mass Effect 2.  I tested today and I get disconnected while sitting at the dashboard as well.  It generally doesn't happen during loading, though it has happened then from time to time.  Most often it happens while I'm actively playing a game.  I ran this test after I had been disconnected at the dashboard, but I'm not sure how long it sat there before disconnecting.  I'm going to leave it at the dashboard now and update with how long it took to disconnect again.

What Country/State/Province do you live in?  United States, Rhode Isalnd

Modem brand & model number: Motorola SURFboard SB6180

Router brand & model number: Asus RT-N56U

If Wireless, are you using a white or black external adapter, or an internal (Xbox 360S) adapter? When using wireless, using the 360S adapter (internal)

Things you have tried: Testing connection (always reports as fine, xbox live working), resetting modem, resetting router, disconnecting router to connect directly to modem, tried wired and wireless connections, tried neighbors wireless connection.

Is UPnP Enabled? Yes/no/Unknown

Do you have a NAT error? If so, what is your NAT? No error

Any Error Codes you encounter: No error

Who is your ISP(Internet Service Provider)? Cox Communications

After you run "Test Xbox LIVE connection" press “Y” for "More Info”. In the pop-up that appears, what are the following values, if shown? (If a value below does not appear for you, just leave it blank.)

W: 0000 - 000B

X: 0000 - F001

Y: 20A8 - 4840

Z: 0000 - 0000

ID: FFFF- FFFF

L: 801C - 274C

Q: 801C - 274C

T: Wired

A: 192.168.1.78/255.255.255.0

G: 192.168.1.1

D: 192.168.1.1/0.0.0.0

S: N/A

C: N/A

Sorry this didn't help.

I left it at the dashboard for a while and it disconnected after about an hour and a half.

I noticed I forgot one of the fields in the Start Here above:

Is UPnP Enabled? Yes

Also, I checked on my router and found that it only had one of the 4 ports forwarding from: Network ports used by Xbox LIVE

I just set the other 3 and will test it today to see if that made the difference.  I had only had port 3074 forwarding (UDP/TCP)

Sorry this didn't help.

That sounds good Argalon. Let me know if that makes any difference. Thanks!

Sorry this didn't help.

Unfortunately that did not seem to resolve the issue  though it may have helped some.  So far today it's only happened roughly once every two hours so far.  Both times it has happened I was able to reconnect immediately without having to run a network test.  Both times were while I was playing KoA: Reckoning.  The first was mid combat, the second was while I was in my inventory.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey again Argalon! I apologize for not catching this sooner, but using UPnP and port forwarding at the same time is a no-no. Can you please disable UPnP from your router and see if that helps? Let me know, thanks!

Sorry this didn't help.

I've disabled UPnP and tested it last night with Mass Effect 3.  I seem to be disconnecting more often, once every half hour on average.  One time it happened while loading the game, the remaining times would happen randomly during game play.

Sorry this didn't help.

Found this question after some searching...this is identical to the problem I'm seeing. Since around December we've been getting completely random disconnects. Sometimes dashboard, sometimes while playing a game, sometimes while watching Hulu or Netflix. It's seemingly random and the intervals vary. Some days it's every 5 minutes other days it's every couple of hours. No other devices in our house have this type of issue (we have 3 computers and various other consoles).

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there SGreth - thanks for your post, but we would encourage you to create a new thread so that we can focus on the OP in this thread, while giving you solitary attention in your thread as well. It helps us better help you! Make sure to read the "Start Here" sticky post (forums.xbox.com/.../155724.aspx) and answer the bolded questions in your first post. Thanks! :)

@Argalon - Okay, thank you for reporting that change. Unfortunately that is obviously the wrong direction. ;) One thing I want to fully understand, you have never used UPnP while having *no* ports opened or forwarded, correct? Can you give that a shot, if so?

Sorry this didn't help.

Same problem since December. I guess it is not my ISP or Xbox. Googled a little bit, there are a lot of people suffering from that and it seems there is no solution.

Sorry this didn't help.