Console turns itself on after update

Ever since the update, 90% of the time after turning off my xbox, it turns itself back on. Sometimes immediately, sometimes it will wait a while and then suddenly the little power light turns on. There has even been one occurrence of the console having been turned off, stayed off for at least two hours, then after leaving the house for an hour I return to find it on yet again. Its not like the controller is getting hit, it never connects to a controller when this happens, and we make sure to place them away where they won't be activated inadvertently. It seems to occur most often when using the popup menu to shut down the xbox.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 10 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

The wireless controller operates at 2.4GHz IIRC...Have you got anything else close to your Xbox360 that also operates at 2.4GHz? (Cordless phones, for example.) This happens but (rarely) you get some interference between devices.

Please let me know if this helps!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Sure don't, the only thing I have in the house that runs on the same frequency are the controllers and an xbox remote. All of them placed out of way so as not to be activated by accident. Again, this never happened until after the newest update.

Sorry this didn't help.

Is this a newer 360 S console? If so, do you have any pets? I had a roommate with a cat who liked to investigate the shiny power button, and it would turn on every time he touched it. It certainly had me confused at first!

Sorry this didn't help.

I've found this too. On my Elite, the XBox that wasn't bricked by the update, I can turn it off, 30 minutes later leave to go to the shops, and get home after 2 hours to find it turned itself back on. Did the update alter the frequency it operates on, as this has never occured for me before, I own no other wireless devices, and I have no pets. Oh and I sincerely doubt the nice old lady upstairs owns an XBox either.

Sorry this didn't help.

I just had the same problem happen to me. Immediately after the console turns off (either via remote or the power button on the console itself) it reboots and turns itself back on.

I'm running the Xbox Arcade (one of the older white ones) with HDMI out and a 20gb hard drive with two wireless controllers. Pulled the batteries out of the controllers to see if that could have been the problem. No luck. After that, unplugged my cordless phone because it uses a 2.4GHz frequency to see if it was causing any interference, but that didn't turn up anything either. I inspected the power button on the console itself to see if maybe it was stuck or sticky, but it was fine.

The only other thing I can possibly think of is that there was a software bug somewhere in the last update, and that there is little that I can do about it other than unplug the console when I'm done with it and pray that Xbox releases a patch to fix the problem. Hope this helps.

Sorry this didn't help.

Edit: Sorry, it's not an Xbox 360 Arcade, but an Xbox 360 Pro about 3-4 years old.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there Gorilla! When you say it restarts after you turn it off, are you saying it loads up fully back to the logo and then the dashboard? Or does it just stay on (green light) with no video on the TV? Do you have Background Downloads set to be on? Please let me know, thanks!

Sorry this didn't help.

@ Miss Portia ... are you serious? That's your trouble shooting advice for this person? Pathetic.

Sorry this didn't help.

hey there my xbox S 1 year old does the same thing it never did it until the update so there has to be a bug in the software

if any knows how to fix please tell

thanks

Sorry this didn't help.

Mister Gwyther, it restarts all the way to the dashboard, but I finally figured out what was going on. My neighbor's kid just got back from college for Christmas break (which is about when I updated the Xbox firmware) and happened to bring his Xbox back with him. Turns out his remotes sync to his xbox at the same frequency as mine. My xbox was picking up the signal and turning on. So (in my case anyway), the firmware update did not have anything to do with the restart problem, it was just a coincidence.

Sorry this didn't help.