Console suddenly takes up to 6 minutes to get past the first animation and load the dashboard. Nothing has happened to it that I know of. What's going on?

I have a 360 Slim edition with Kinect that I got barely over a year ago. It gets moderate use, on average being turned on about 4-ish hours a day. It has been working just fine since I got it, but in the past couple of days has spontaneously started to run INCREDIBLY slow.

The boot time is several minutes where it used to be under 15 seconds. It spends minutes just hovering on the initial Xbox 360 animation, then several more minutes on the gray load-screen with the rotating circles, then when the dashboard finally loads it is not very responsive to the controller. I have to hit the center button 3-4 times to bring up the menu to return to the dash, and then that takes another minute. The console hasn't been moved from its shelf or damaged in any way, it is not modded and it hasn't had a software update recently that I can remember. It just started acting like this when I turned it on a couple of days ago. I've tried clearing the cache to no avail. Can anyone suggest what the problem might be and how I can go about getting it fixed?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

Can you try removing any storage devices and try turning it on, let me know how it goes!

Xbox Live Community Ambassador

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I removed the 250GB HDD and the problem immediately resolved. What does this mean?? All of my save files and user info are on there, I kind of need that to work!

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="XSpartan09"]I removed the 250GB HDD and the problem immediately resolved. What does this mean??[/quote]The HDD is having issues.[quote]All of my save files and user info are on there, I kind of need that to work![/quote]I would suggest moving your saves to a USB Memory Unit or Cloud Storage, and your profile to a USB Memory Unit before the HDD dies completely. If you're out of Console warranty, buy a new accessory HDD. If you're in warranty, open a ticket with support to RMA the HDD.

Sorry this didn't help.

As IceStorm says, definitely  move your game saves to the cloud storage or a USB flash drive before they are lost. Check in your hard drive if any files are appearing as corrupted, if so delete them, they cannot be recovered and may be cauing the issue. If that does not work you can try formatting your hard drive (wiping it of all data) and see if it works with it, if not you will need to either get it replaced or buy a new one. To format your HDD follow this guide: support.microsoft.com/.../906502

You're account and downloadable content do not need to be saved elsewhere as they can be downloaded again but your game saves will be lost once formatted.

Xbox Live Community Ambassador

Sorry this didn't help.

Ok, I will look into it. I'm glad somebody warned me to move my stuff in case the HDD goes out completely. If I had lost my Skyrim progress I might have died...

Thanks a million, guys!

Sorry this didn't help.