Console Overheating Issue

I have had an overheating issue on my xbox 360 (original console) for the past few months.  However, recently it seems as though the problem is getting worse.  When i turn on my xbox 360 in order to play a game such as CoD Black Ops or Guitar hero, the game will load fine but within 2 minutes of me launching the game my console overheats and turns itself off.  Is there any way to fix this without having to buy a new console (b/c if i do have to buy a new console ill probably just switch to ps3 b/c i`ve had a lot of bad experiences with my 360 so far)?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 10 Applies to:

You might have a dusty or malfunctioning cooling fan, try taking it to service or use an external cooling fan designed for the original Xbox 360 console.

I know most people know that already, but make sure you install the game already before playing it, and remember to keep your console in a well ventilated place.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

check the back of Xbox to see if the fans are working, if so, u need to a can that blow air into your console to move all the dust in it. ( don't blow air in it while it on ) and  if this first time owning a 360, it OK, old big white Xbox is knowing to give you trouble, or  you had more than 1 360 consoles (all white ones) than try the new slim console, they don't give u tons of problem like the white does. and moving to ps3 wont be good idea because they have been hacked by hacker tons of times, signing up on ps3 means u can kiss your all info goodbye when a hacker get it

Sorry this didn't help.

Is your xbox in an open area, or is it tucked in small area?  Also if you have it laying down horizontally as opposed to standing it up, that can help too.  Also check to see if there's any dust, covering any vents.  If none of that works your fans may be malfunctioning, and I'd send it in to be looked at.

Sorry this didn't help.

You'r fan maybe broken or faulty or you'r xbox is not in a space e.g. its in a small space.

Sorry this didn't help.

Microsift themselves reccomend that the console itself is in a weel ventilated area and at least 12 inches away from a wall or in an enclosed space. If you try moving your console to an open area this should help. Also, don't keep Game boxes or discs on the console as this makes the console heat upp. The same applies for stickers.

Sorry this didn't help.

Your fan may be dusty. Try cleaning it (Blowing or use a hoover) Also try installing the game it keeps it a lot cooler.

Make sure it is in a cool well ventilated place

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey everyone, I just wanted to point out that this thread is from back in May. Please remember to be mindful of the original post date of a thread before replying. This will prevent the inadvertent bumping of very old threads. Thanks! :)

Sorry this didn't help.