Console Losing Static IP on Restart

I have my system set up to use a static IP so I can forward ports and keep an open NAT. Every time I do a hard restart of my console it drops the IP settings and I have to re-enter them. This only effects the IP settings, DNS settings stay the same.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 68 Applies to:

Greetings Jersey!
Appreciate if you could post up the make and model of your router and your modem as well (if this is not a single device). 

[quote user="Jersey Steve"]Every time I do a hard restart of my console it drops the IP settings and I have to re-enter them.[/quote]Just to clarify, can you detailing out what you refer to as, "hard restart", of your console.

Can you also detailing out how you've manually configured your console, as your router, for network ports used by Xbox LIVE to be forwarded.

[quote user="Jersey Steve"]This only effects the IP settings, DNS settings stay the same.[/quote]If you don't assign a public DNS server for your console, to resolve IP addresses, then your console will be assigned the very same address for the primary DNS server as the DHCP server informs your console dynamically. 

Thank you!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

[quote]

Appreciate if you could post up the make and model of your router and your modem as well 

[/quote]
Modem/Router is a Cisco DPC3939 (aka the Xfinity XB3)
[quote]
Just to clarify, can you detailing out what you refer to as, "hard restart", of your console.
[/quote]
Holding down the power button until the console shuts completely down. 

[quote]
Can you also detailing out how you've manually configured your console, as your router, for network ports used by Xbox LIVE to be forwarded.
[/quote]
I went into the routers page for port forwarding and forwarded each individual port listed on this page to my static IP for my console. 

I should mention that I've created a work around for this by logging into my router and setting up my console's MAC address to have a reserved IP and then leaving the console set on DCHP. That doesn't really tell me why it was dropping the static info I had in the console, but it's at least solved my problem. 

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="Jersey Steve"]I should mention that I've created a work around for this by logging into my router and setting up my console's MAC address to have a reserved IP and then leaving the console set on DCHP.[/quote]DHCP reservation is actually not a work around, but a more preferable method, to exclude the possibility of IP conflict. This feature is not mandatory, so far from every manufacture choose to implement this as an option.

Just make sure you reserve a unique IP address that is outside of the dynamically range of the DHCP server. If this is not pre-configured on your router, you can alter the range manually by going in to your router's web-utility interface, DHCP Server and limiting the IP pool range, ending address.

For example:

IP pool starting address: 192.168.1.2
IP pool ending address: 192.168.1.100

Now, reserv an address outside of the dynamically range. For example, 192.168.1.200

Also, make sure your console obtain the reserved address.

Sorry this didn't help.