Console is creaking

Whenever I power on my Xbox 360 Elite it makes like five creaking noises then stops. This only started happening lately and worried that i'm going to have to buy a new one.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 40 Applies to:

Any time you turn on electronics the heat from the electricity makes components expand. Likewise when you turn it off it cools down and contracts.

Most likely the joints around the plastic case are just getting a little loose with age due to repeated expansion and contraction.

Now since it heats up really fast it's likely to expand fast enough that you hear it, but you may not hear creaking when it cools down because it cools down and contracts much slower than it heated up.

Now, it heating up so fast now that it makes the creak sound may mean that it's really dirty inside and your heat sink and fan are having a hard time dealing with the heat.

I'd suggest getting a can of compressed computer cleaner gas, like Dust Off or 3M Dust Remover, and blow it out real good. Blow it in all the vents.

Be sure to do it somewhere easy to clean up, because if you have never done this before dust is going to be going everywhere, including all over you.

Also, be sure to use a compressed gas especially made for cleaning computers. DO NOT use compressed air.

Let us know if blowing it out real good helps.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

The disc drive makes some noise when you turn an Xbox console on.

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="ChargedCube"]Whenever I power on my Xbox 360 Elite it makes like five creaking noises then stops.[/quote]In rapid succession from the rear of the console? Could be the fan bearings failing.

Sorry this didn't help.