Console in a reboot loop.

So I fired up my console (original XBOX 360) just now and go through the latest system update.  All is well, or so I thought.  I get into Gotham City Impostors and get a notification that my trial download of Plants and Zombies has been stopped.  All is well, or so I thought.  Get into my first match of Fumigation in GCI, and just as I make my first kill (and am subsequently taken out), another notification comes up saying the download for PandZ is complete ... that's funny, I thought it had been stopped, but I digress ... and my screen completely freezes.  I can't respawn, I'm dead in the water.  The screen goes black, and the console restarts.  Is all still well?  As it goes through the startup animation screen, the system freezes for a couple seconds then the system reboots.  Frequently.  Over and over.  Rinse and repeat.  Infinitely?

I turned the console off, unplugged everything and made sure they were plugged in securely.  I took the disc - Batman: Arkham City - out of the drive and restart.  Freeze and automatic reboot.  I take the hard drive out, and the system starts up, but now I cannot download/sign into my XBL account because I don't have a memory unit connected.

So, it seems the problem is now with my hard drive.  Mind you, about a month ago I replaced my old 20GB drive with a brand spanking new 120GB drive, and have had no problems with it to-date.  I was able to transfer all data from the old to new, and it's been working peachy ever since.  I wonder if it has to do with either the latest system update and/or the trial version of Plants and Zombies and/or if it was some issue that occurred while downloading one thing and playing another.

Is there any way to bypass the hard drive somehow to access it an delete PandZ and the latest system update, and try to redo it over again?  We're going on a good 30 minutes or so of the infinite reboot loop ...

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 6 Applies to:

Small update.  I chatted with an Xbox Ambassador, and took his/her suggestion ... turned everything off for 30 minutes to let static discharge (?), then unplugged power and hard drive for an additional 5 minutes.  Plugged them all back in, and it'll actually get into the dashboard ... for 9 seconds.  Yes, 9 ... I counted them.  The console will freeze, after actually hearing an audible click, then reboot.  I don't even have enough time to get to the hard drive and clear the cache.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

[quote user="ADillon22"]Mind you, about a month ago I replaced my old 20GB drive with a brand spanking new 120GB drive,[/quote]There are no "new" 120GB HDDs. 120GB HDD production was phased out when the 250GB drive was released in 2010.

You're just experiencing the reliability curve for an unused HDD. Unfortunately, yours failed.

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="IceStorm III"]You're just experiencing the reliability curve for an unused HDD. Unfortunately, yours failed.[/quote]

Fair enough, but it's new to me, and now after a month or so it's faulty ... somehow.  Doesn't really help me with my problem, other than to imply I shell out $100+ bucks to buy a "new" new hard drive.

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="ADillon22"]Fair enough, but it's new to me, and now after a month or so it's faulty ...[/quote]Contact your retailer? Most retailers provide a 30 day warranty.

You could try calling MS as accessories have a 90 day warranty, but they may not be able to help you if it was bought from an ebay/pricegrabber type of small retailer.

Sorry this didn't help.

Yeah, I'll get in touch with them.  In the meantime I put my 20GB back in an try to "make due" with that one.  Thank goodness for cloud saves, huh? ;)

Sorry this didn't help.

Eh, cloud saves have their own problems.

I went back to using my USB Memory Unit.

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="IceStorm III"]

Eh, cloud saves have their own problems.

I went back to using my USB Memory Unit.

[/quote]

Jeez, is anything memory-wise for Xbox at all stable?  Are the USB units the perfect memory option?

My point was, while I get the hard drive issue sorted, my cloud saves for Arkham City and FIFA12 were a welcomed silver lining ... in other words, I didn't lose any progress to-date regardless of which of my 2 hard drives I can actually use.

Sorry this didn't help.